Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Spring so far







I suck. I know. I've been busy. Really, really busy for like three and a half months. Ok, not really. But it seemed like it. To me anyway. Okay, that isn't so true either. I just haven't felt like it. There. So here is what I've been up to:












I got four new chickens! One of my Plymouth Barred Rocks died in March. She molted late and just never really seemed to get her strength back. After a few days in chicken intensive care she gave up the ghost. I watched the other chickens for a few weeks for signs of disease and they were fine and healthy, so I got four more Barred Rocks. These little girls are about 4 weeks old now, they were two weeks old when I bought them. Hopefully no roosters in the bunch.







I lost thirty five pounds! I got sick in January and was on antibiotics for awhile. This particular antibiotic killed my appetite entirely and I literally had to remind myself to eat every day. So that resulted in about 15 pounds lost which is as good of a jump start as you get, and I've kept on going. Yay me!

I've developed rats. Sometime in February I noticed the chicken feed going faster than usual. And then one fateful night in late March I came face to face with a surprisingly large rat in the chicken house one night. It was reddish brown and not at all shy. So I bought some poison and shoved it down some holes that were chewed into the chicken house floor behind some flowerpots and waited. On Sunday, I strolled across the yard towards the chicken house and there sitting in the sun was that very large rat. Sort of struggling to breathe. I felt kind of bad. I know, its a rat. But still. So I went to get a stick to poke around at it a little, never having been that close to a rat. And when I returned my husband was standing there with a shovel poised over his head which then came down hard on the rat's head and rat was no more. I felt really bad. The next day I read on Wikipedia that rats are self-aware like humans and primates and that their favorite food is scrambled eggs. And I felt worse. I hope there aren't any more rats.



My tree is starting to bud out! A bit slower than the silver and red maples that we have, but that's okay! As long as it does.





My garlic has all sprouted!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Wow. I just checked here the other day to see if somehow I'd been unsubscribed. And felt worried when I found I hadn't.

Some adventures for you, I guess! I am glad you're recovered from your illness and having some Good Things going on.

1:52 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

yeah, some good things and some probably not so good things I suppose. but definitely things that completely wake you up out of a "life is the same every hour of every day" funk. for sure.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:57 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

So good to see you posting again. Glad you're well (and 30 lbs lighter! Wow, wish I could say that).
Dude, the rat story makes me sad. I know, they're dirty and stuff, but I like rats. I have cats, so no rats, and I'm not going to lecture you or anything. But I appreciate your soft heart and feeling bad. Wish more people thought like that.

The Clint think leaves me with a big question mark. I hope you'll reveal more soon :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

blackswamp girl...I wish you were my neighbor and I could sit in the yard with you and have a beer and hear all about your own 'Clint Eastwood moment'. This is easily the most confused I've ever been. But an amazing confusion. I'm questioning a lot of things.

Woof Nanny....I wish I could elaborate more. But I've probably said too much already. I like rats as well, some rats. I had a rat for a pet in middle school. A white lab rat named Phineas. About a quarter of the size of this other rat. I really hope no more come around cause I felt terribly guilty.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Glad to see you back. You have certainly been missed! And well, yeah, I'd say you were busy.

Interesting about your "Clint Eastwood thing". I've been there before, sister -- how do you think I got my second (and current) husband? ;o)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

P.S. Your chickies are absolutely adorable. :o)

1:05 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Hi Faith! Glad to be back. Thanks for missing me. And I hope to be posting regularly now. And hopefully about more appropriate topics. Although I'd be interested to hear about your situation sometime.

1:59 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home