Tuesday, October 11, 2005

If you've got a blacklist, I wanna be on it

Wow, I'm almost an outlaw. I'm a seed saver. Check out this article about a few very bad seed companies gradually buying up all the other little seed companies. So they control all the seed. So they control all the food. I wonder if some day, people will have to garden secretly? Sound crazy? While the Coalition Provisional Authority was governing Iraq, one of the permanent provisions that they put in place, due to lobbying from Monsanto, was to make it illegal for Iraqi farmers to save seed. They now have to buy it every year from Monsanto. WE did that. The USA. Pay attention to what's going on behind the scenes. The Senate will likely vote tomorrow on a provision snuck into a farming bill trying to roll back organic standards. Guess who lobbied for that? Kraft and Dole. Pay attention. They aren't even bothering to pretend anymore.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

It's sickening, isn't it? Because of Monsanto's purchase of Seminis, Fedco has decided not to purchase seed from them anymore. It will mean that many hybrid varieties (Early Girl, New Ace peppers, etc) they've carried for years will no longer be available, but the alternative is to let Monsanto control us all.

It's a crazy, scary, messed up world and I can't tell you how often I am disgusted and embarrassed to be an American.

7:40 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I think a lot of the seed company's home and organic growers use will take a hit on this. Either drop product from their inventory or risk losing customers. I would never purchase seeds that I knew came from Monsanto..or Cargill or Calgene, or ADM for that matter. We're being overtaken by corporations. I've never bought from Fedco, but I will now. I think Seed Savers Exchange and Seeds of Change both bought from Seminis also. Wonder what they'll do?

9:38 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

i'm not a seed expert. :) how do you know if you are buying monsatan's seeds? i also understand they are causing problems in developing countries because they are contaminating their crops with GM crops.

4:08 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I suppose you just have to do some research and find out who the parent company is of each seed company you buy from, if there is a parent company. As Monsatan buys up more and more, it gets harder and harder. Also look out for Cargill, Calgene, and Archer Daniels Midland. Evil seed hoarders abound.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home