Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rudbeckia with a mind of it's own

This perennial bed is currently on fire with an unknown Rudbeckia. I bought it the first year we lived here. It was of questionable hardiness as it died back and never reappeared in the spot that I planted it in. It is a rather tall flower and I had it towards the center of the bed. Apparently, it is a little claustrophobic as it has rampantly reseeded itself all along the edges. It is pretty so I leave it alone.





This clump is currently growing up between the bricks in a walkway. And I'm sure it will eventually walk into the narrow little planting area in front of it.











This year we've achieved some kind of genetic variation and ended up with a clump with whitish centers. I can't decide whether I like them or not. They look strange to me.











In other news, my compost is apparently not that hot. Or tomato seeds are super tough. In every pot that I planted using compost, I now have a tomato. These pots of stock (now over, they don't like heat) are hosting two fairly large tomato seedlings. We'll see what develops. I, for one, am a fan of mystery tomatoes. Once, I got a cherry tomato that was so tiny but so sweet, I ate them like candy in the garden. And I take a lukewarm approach to tomatoes. Not their biggest fan. But I'm getting better. Since I scorched most of my tomato seedlings that I started from seed, I'm really hoping that this turns out to be a Constoluto Genovese or a Brandywine, since I only have one of each of those. We'll see. I suppose I pull out those stock to give my suprise tomatoes more room.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Tomatoes are notoriously tricky to kill in the compost. My dad says they can even survive the sewage treatment plant. I guess they'll give the cockroaches and rats something to eat when we ruin the planet.

I think I'd like to hang out in one of those red chairs... your flower garden is so pretty! (but I prefer the dark-eyed susans)

12:47 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

THe red chairs are nice to hang out in. Expecially in the evening. During the afternoon they are in the sun. Someday, we will have a screened in porch, but for now, not a bad place to sit and read and have your toes pecked by chickens.

1:17 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

I love those red chairs. Are they wood? Where'd you get them?

2:37 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

They are not wood. I wanted a sturdier material, like ones I have seen made from recycled materials, but I could not find them locally and shipping costs were insane. Also, I didn't want to worry about painting something or having something expensive out that could get stolen. Sundance has some incredible ones made from salvaged materials....but beaucoup bucks. So... They are heavy plastic (boo! Petroleum product) but they are comfortable and more importantly cheap. $14.99 at Linens and Things. They also come in white and a spring green color.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if our Rudbeckias know each other. My Rudbeckia was here when I moved in and growing strongly between the rocks. It continues on & on & on & on. If it gets in my way in spring, I throw it over my shoulder, but most of the time I let it be--it has a mind of its own. I like it though, reminds me of myself. --Judith

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home