Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What has happened to me?

Had you known me 10 or 15 years ago, and then met me today, you would notice a very big difference. Somehow, I've become this other person. I don't know when it happened. It started slowly, but lately has been picking up speed. If, many years ago, I would have gone to a fortune teller and she would have said "One day, you will be entertained by watching chickens run" or "You will find cutting up old t-shirts to use as rags an enjoyable activity" or even "You will look forward to the day when you can stand in an August kitchen and sweat for hours making and canning something that can be purchased at the grocery store for .99 cents"....well, I would have said "You're on drugs". But I do take pleasure in these activities. And lots of other things that I totally would have turned my nose up at years ago. Last night I laughed hysterically at chickens running through the wet grass. They had been 'cooped' up since Friday because of the torrential rain, and were getting a little stir crazy. One snuck out behind me as I was replacing food and water, and ran like a crazy person all around the yard, by herself. Usually they are very group oriented and get alarmed when they think they are by themselves. This chicken did not care. But the other ones minded...a lot. 5 chickens giving you dirty looks is uncomfortable, so I let the rest of them out. I stood there for 30 minutes laughing at these chickens racing around. And now thanks to amy stewart, I've found a hen cam. I can be entertained by someone else's chickens while I am at work. Awesome! What is wrong with me?

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

That is curious, although the same thing has happened to me. I guess we're just getting old. Sometimes I think it's too bad I didn't know you when we were in college, but it's probably just as well... we probably would have had nothing in common.

3:18 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, but there's plenty of people gettin old with me that think I'm nuts. They don't do this stuff. Yeah, I definitely wasn't like this in college. Although I did drag my then-boyfriend around to pick black raspberries. His parents that lived in West Chester and grew up outside of Philadelphia thought I was a freak. Eat food you picked from outside? Insane.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kelsgarden said...

oh, but there is that part of us that revels in others thinking we are insane!

{as I hang the lavender I just cut and watch the blueberry bushes with anticipation}

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww - i think you should put your 50's apron on (you know sans clothing) and prance around like a housewife - LOSER!

...guess who!

1:18 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

hey skank! quit posting anonymously. Matt would like it if you wore an apron. Stop denying your inner Martha.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home