Thursday, April 24, 2008

How am I behind already?

Spring so quickly becomes overwhelming. Or is it just me? You wait and wait to be able to go out and get dirty and then it just seems like you can't keep up. There are so many things I have to plant yet!

And as usual, I panicked and bought my tomatoes too early, so afraid that the ones I wanted wouldn't be available if I waited. So I dutifully haul those in and out of the garage every day. I'll wait until the beginning of May, but even that is two weeks early based on out last frost date of May 15th. But at least I am set for San Marzanos again for 2008.



But I suppose it is good to be busy. I spent entirely too much time the last few months thinking about things and it is good for me to have a distraction. Even politics has failed to draw much of my attention. Can you believe it? I did work the polls on primary day this last Tuesday. And while Obama lost Pennsylvania, he did win in my precinct (the only Obama precinct in my district) and I like to think it was because of my smiling face and my "Lancaster for Obama" pin wishing everyone a good day.

My trout lily (Erythronium americanum) bloomed for the first time. Actually, they aren't my trout lillies, I didn't plant them. I've noted the foliage every year that we've had the house, but never seen a bloom. There were three this spring, although I was unable to get a shot of any of them fully open. The leaves really do look like a speckled trout's back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

You know, this was the first time I can remember that Pennsylvania's primary actually mattered. Usually the race has been long-decided upon by the time it gets to us. Did I vote? No. I'm registered Republican, something I did 25 years ago and never got around to changing. I no longer consider myself a Republican -- more of an Independent -- but I couldn't vote in the Democratic primary. Shoot! :o( If I did get the chance to vote, though, I would have voted for Obama.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

Spring keeps teasing us here, with 70 degrees yesterday, 50 today, snow tomorrow (on my weekend, of course). Already I'm behind on weeding, and I have a flat of seedlings in the laundry room that must wait another three weeks.

So you're not alone! But somehow we'll catch up.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It's good to see you writing again, Meresy! Your recent posts have been fascinating and thought-provoking but I never did put together a coherent comment. And now the best I can come up with is "Nice trout lilies"...duh.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! This is totally off-topic from your post, but I couldn't find your email address to email you privately.

As you likely know, Liz at Pocket Farm has shut down her blog and is no longer hosting One Local Summer. I'd like to host a Mid-Atlantic OLS at farmtophilly.com. If you're interested in participating, please let me know at nicole@farmtophilly.com and I'll include you on the mailing list!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What Annie in Austin said. :)

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Negocio Inversiones said...

Excellent information to many people like to read articles to learn about these issues of great interest.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home