Friday, September 21, 2007

Autumnal Equinox

So summer ends this weekend. The frost warning earlier in the week has thankfully given way to overnight temps in the low 50s and every morning is thick with fog. The grain elevator at the farm behind us is going 24-7 and some mornings with the fog, it makes it sound as if it is in the backyard. Fog does funny things with sound. The farmer started taking the corn down last night, so our days of having a wind block are numbered. But I do like how the landscape opens up again.

This morning there were dew-covered spider webs everywhere and Emmett was barking at all the big ones for some reason. I wonder what he thought they were. I'm sort of getting into the fall spirit, but am also very sad to see another summer end. The next one always seems so far away.

I will probably break down and buy pumpkins over the weekend and lots of apples. The chickens will appreciate the banged up ones. I should also probably make chicken corn soup before the last of the sweet corn is gone, which will be any day now. And order garlic to plant. My garlic harvest wasn't that great and I hesitate to plant mediocre bulbs for next year. I don't think I'm going to plant any flower bulbs. I suspect many of mine were the victims of underground marauders earlier this summer so I need to see what I have left before I add more. I still have a few plants and shrubs to get into the ground. Isn't that awful? I was stressing about potatoes and lima beans but was happy to receive advice that both can be left until later and will be fine.

9 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Did you take that picture? It's beautiful.

Tomorrow we're having our last cookout to say goodbye to summer. I'm sad to see it go but it's time to move on. My husband, however, was just lamenting the passing of t-shirt weather. :o(

8:50 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Lovely photo of a sister spinner's work!
I've been stressing about getting my taters out too...esp. as a farmer friend of mine warns that leaving them in tooo long will result in "teeth marks and holes" from other underground critters. My husband, is of the mind to let them sit..

8:48 AM  
Blogger Yolanda said...

This is a lovely photo to accompany your beautiful. words.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful shot of the spiderweb Meredith. I forgot about fall starting this week. We are having a spell of warmer weather, but have had a few really cool days. That is how Maine is, up and down!

The second crop of hay was cut in the field behind our house this week, and I have seen a few porch pumpkins. Guess I will get at least one this weekend to put out with some mums, or a pot of the short asters that have been marketed these past few years. I really like them.

12:57 PM  
Blogger kris said...

Nice post - I feel like I'm right there with you, hearing and seeing everything!

I love the spiderweb photo - really cool.

I have a long list of things to do in the gardens yet this fall. We'll see... I bought bulbs last week - do I NEED more bulbs? NO - but I'll enjoy them next spring for sure!

1:22 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yes, I took the picture, but the fact that it turned out well has more to do with the quality of the camera than the person taking the picture. I too am lamenting the passing of t-shirt weather, but I think we still have awhile yet. This week anyway will be pretty warm still.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

I have to disagree with you there -- I think you have a great eye for pictures. This is just the latest in a series of pictures you've taken that I think are beautiful. You have a good sense of what will look good and you get the right angle and lighting, too.

11:17 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Lovely. I adore spiders. My childhood memories are filled with my mom saying, "spiders are good...". But the webs are so amazing, especially with the sparkle of dew.

Can you please forward your email addy? Mine is barbian7@yahoo.com

3:43 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

There hasn't been anything like a cool misty morning in Austin yet - it was 99ยบ in my garden yesterday - but there are spider webs everywhere.

Since neither I nor my camera are capable of capturing their beauty, your photo is especially welcome, Meresy.

Hope you still have some T-shirt days ahead!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home