Friday, August 10, 2007

One Local Summer: Week 7


We had thunderstorms all day yesterday and most of the evening, dropping the temperature roughly 20 degrees, making this meal possible. No way I'm boiling pasta when it's so hot I'm sweating in the house.


So I only make this a few times a year, because it isn't exactly healthy. But oh my is it good. My sheepnose pimientoes (those little red pepper looking things) are coming in pretty fast now, along with another kind of pimiento (the short, oblong to the left), and I think some Relleno chiles which are very sweet and mild. I combine these with a Pennsylvania Simply Sweet Onion (grown in PA but I don't know where), my garlic, my basil, and cook down until soft. Then it gets pureed and added to......cream (from Shady Acres in Etown). Served over pasta (not local ingred., but made and distributed by New World Pasta in Harrisburg, PA). And the freshly grated, aged Parmesan wasn't local either, but there just isn't a decent source. The Naughty Marietta red wine was local though, with the vineyard less than 5 miles from me.

Very, very, very good.

Special thanks to a former co-worker of mine whose wife is Italian and supplied me with some splendid recipes for ripe, red peppers several years ago. This is easily one of my favorite summer meals, and it just doesn't taste right the rest of the year.

14 Comments:

Blogger El said...

That looks delicious, M!

Using what I had sprouting in the garden, I thought about making eggplant lasagna this week for OLS, but hell, it was too damned hot! Maybe next week.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meredith, in the summer when you are doing lots of gardening work, you can eat this kind of food. Look at our grandparents. They started the day with bacon, eggs, and gravy, and ended it with fried meat, cream and salt pork on their vegetables, AND pie with whipped cream, and still were thin! They just plain worked it off.

Your pasta dish looks wonderful.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that pasta looks divine... well worth sweating in the house for even if the temps hadn't dropped last night.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Serious yum!

(although I am a sucker for anything that has cream in it. ;)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

That looks great! But then, to paraphrase Liz, I am a sucker for anything with pasta in it. :o)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Omelay said...

i wish there was a vineyard five miles from here.

2:27 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

oh yum! yummy! yumfest. Esp. the wine part.

4:50 PM  
Blogger kris said...

The pasta looks good - but a vineyard within 5 miles?? That is too cool.

12:45 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I really need to get your email address. I always want to reply to comments you leave on my blog, but you come up as 'no reply'. For birdfeeders, this one is kind-of fun, though smaller and kind-of expensive. I like that it's unique.

4:34 PM  
Blogger kate smudges said...

I just finished supper, but I would happily polish off a plate of this. It looks delicious - cool that you have a vineyard nearby. I'd love that!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I will definitely have to check out that wine. I'm always looking for yummy local reds :)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No need to post this comment if you don't want (or delete it if it posts automatically) but I wanted to check in. I may just not be looking in the right places, and I know you've said you've been in a quiet mood, but I haven't noticed a new post--or comment from meresy_g--on any of the blogs I frequent lately. Hope that all is well and you're just busy harvesting and enjoying the garden. :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Where've you been, Meresy? I miss you. I just got a copy of Epitaph for a Peach per your recommendation.

3:07 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Meredith--

Hope you are ok, perhaps you are on vacation? busy in the garden?
computer issues?
Don't mind me, I have the worry gene.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home