Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hot

Pretty view, isn't it? It is the Susquehanna up around Wilkes Barre/Scranton area. It was what I got to look at while I stood in various parking lots and examined subsurface soil borings for petroleum contamination for 12 hours yesterday. In jeans and workboots and a safety vest. Did I mention it was 97 degrees yesterday? Have you ever sweated so much that when you finally dry off, your skin feels like sandpaper from all the salt accumulated on it? I have. Yesterday.

I have said before that I do not care for air conditioning. Let me clarify that. I do not care for air conditioning when it is under....let's say....93 degrees.....and I can be in shorts and a tank-top. When it is 97 degrees and I have to peel my jeans off my body to use the bathroom and I keep getting that weird tingling sensation at the back of head (signalling that I am minutes away from heat stroke) I looooooooovvvvvve air conditioning and wish the whole world was icy and cool.

6 Comments:

Blogger molly pierucci said...

reading what you write about your life keeps me sane at work. i guess you have what i would have picked for my life if i could begin again.. i am so jealous of your veggies! they are absolutely beautiful, and i love frogs! maybe my husband and i should move to your state since concrete apparently hasnt taken over yet. keep up the good work!!

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a better day today! Looks like the temps are just a bit cooler, down that way. After our dry spell, we are having a shower about every five minutes, this week.

It always get me, when the weather guys talk about your area as the northeast. My husband was convinced we were going to have hot weather here, but instead had to put the heat on a few minutes last night!

5:03 PM  
Blogger kris said...

Ouch - that doesn't sound very comfortable!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Yuck! I hope the weather cools off soon. Heatstroke is nasty, drink some gatorade or other electrolyte replenisher and be careful, I'd mis your stories.

Ali

9:51 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hey! You were up in my neck of the wood, and I was down your way....but it WAS HOT in both places!
(ah well, it doesn't feel like summer unless we get a few of these days..soon it will be back to 40 degree nights around here!)

what did your borings reveal? can you share the outcome?

4:17 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

no contamination. which is nice. I not sure I could have handled inhaling gas or diesel fumes in that heat.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home