Monday, June 04, 2007

I am such a dork

Apologies to Harry McClintock, the first known person to record this song. Click here if you aren't familiar with Big Rock Candy Mountain.


I give to you "Big Mulch Chicken Mountain".
Ha.
One evenin’ as the sun went down and the garden I was waterin’
O’er the yard came a fat Barred Rock who said woman I’m not roostin’
I’m headin for a land that’s far away beside the rooster fountain
So come with me and we’ll go and see the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain

At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain there’s a yard that’s fair and bright
Where the hornworms grow on bushes and you roost out every night
Where the nest boxes are all roomy and the sun shines every day
On the tender lettuce leaves and the earthworm trees
Where the cool water springs and the Orpingtons sing
At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain

At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain all the hawks have broken wings
All the raccoons’ teeth are missing and the snakes are tiny things
The farmers trees are full of fruit hanging just off of the ground
Oh, I’m bound to go where there ain’t no snow
Where the rain don’t fall and the wind don’t blow
At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain

At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain the hens can all soar high
Your feathers never all fall out and there’s no such thing as pot pie
There’s plenty of gravel for your gizzard with cracked corn mixed right in
I’m goin’ to stay where you scratch all day
The bugs never end, a fine place for a hen
At the Big Mulch Chicken Mountain
I make my own self laugh.

10 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

You are awesome. That totally cracked me up. :D

5:10 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Pretty cool, Meresy, and your version has a more contemporary feel to it - back to nature instead of Cigarette Trees~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

6:05 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

Bravo!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I would drop you a line to say how much I enjoy reading your blog

6:29 PM  
Blogger El said...

Oh my, you have lost it in the VERY best way.

(and you're making me feel guilty as the compost is now out of bounds for my own chooks.)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I love this, i just howled, probably because I do the same thing. Check out my paen to hostas in the sun here: http://henbogle.blogspot.com/2006/07/hostas-in-sun.html

Ali

9:16 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

This is GREAT. I can hear Mr. McClintock drawling away . . .

I really enjoy your blog, by the way.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you sing this to the chickens??

You really did a good job with it!

5:20 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Perfect! Esp. the second verse!

I've heard tell ~that if you sing to your hens, they lay more eggs...is it working?

Great post! Loved it!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL...Big Rock Candy Mountain was one of my very favorite songs as a child. I love your rendition..I'm always doing that to songs...but the lyrics are usually naughty!!!
Can you tell I'm catching up on blog reading?!?!?

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home