Thursday, May 03, 2007

Some tasty reading

I 've linked to a great article by Barbara Kingsolver on eating local. She has a new book out called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life in which she chronicles a year (A YEAR!) of eating local. I can't wait to read it. They interviewed her on NPR on Sunday about the book and she talked about how they couldn't decide when to start the actual year. So they picked asparagus as the starting point. They had asparagus already and it's emergence seemed a good point to begin. I teared up a little, hearing this the day after the untimely demise of my own asparagus. I spent two hours last evening preparing a new asparagus bed, neatly aligned with the ten remaining plants. And then made sure my husband saw where it was and swore not to till it under. Dinner for me last night was 8 spears of asparagus (from the remaining plants) and some fresh eggs.

So read! And be inspired! And plant things!

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I do adore Barbara Kingsolver. A friend promised to gift her new book to me, so I'm impatiently waiting to get my hands on it. I'm glad the article on MoJo finally went online (sometimes I check right after I get the mag, but it takes a while).

I heard that they didn't realize that a year had passed by during their project. So inspiring.

Glad you got some asparagus for dinner.

2:05 PM  
Blogger BettyWestern said...

Don't know if you've heard, but in Germany they currently have a shortage of asparagus pickers as many Eastern Europeans have gone to other countries for better paid jobs in the agribusiness. It's so serious they may lose most of their crops as seemingly Germans prefer the really young white tips. So, you are not alone in your asparagus grief!

4:09 PM  
Blogger El said...

Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy that woman's writing. I don't get new books often, but ordered that one yesterday.

I am glad you got to sacrifice a bit of your harvest. I am concerned about chopped-up horseradish root: I guess it can resprout from the smallest piece (or so they claim).

We have a bit of an asparagus crisis here, too: my daughter has decided she likes to pick them and eat them! Given an opportunity, she'll eat them all.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I didn't know she had a new book out. I think I have read everything she has written so far.

So sorry to hear about your asparagus. My brother used to do things like that on purpose, so they wouldn't want his to mow!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIM! Why do you see spelling mistakes just as the comment flashes off into space, or whatever it goes?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting... I have such a tough time finding local food here that I can't imagine eating like that for a year! I have never read her before, but will definitely check out this book--I need some hints.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home