Monday, April 09, 2007

We interrupt this spring.......


to bring you more of winter.


Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. It has been ridiculously cold here with snow flurries just about every day. It has put me in a gloomy mood. And the riotous change from upper 70s to below freezing apparently jostled my immune system so I have been battling an annoying cold for the last week. Or I have developed allergies for the first time due to the obscene amount of tree pollen floating about. Hard to tell. I just know I'm miserable. THe photo is actually from winter, not recent. But I thought the gloom factor was appropriate to illustrate my current demeanor.

It has been painful to be outside with the biting wind and frigid temperatures, so nothing is getting done in the yard. Daffodils are still blooming but I feel like I missed a big chunk of spring already. It just isn't the same when viewed from inside through a window. The chickens are cranky, the dogs are listless and confused, and I just want to hole up with a fire in the woodstove, some movies, and emerge when it is 70 degrees again. This isn't fun.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her mederdith - must be the season, our buff orps keep going broody too. She'll ge tthe hint if you keep hoisting her out of the nest box and taking her eggs away, but it can take a while. I've never had one die from staying broody too long - she might get a little skinny, but she'll be fine. Our only sure-fire marketing is the farmer's market -there's also a local chef who said he'd be interested in our surplus, but we'll see if that pans out. We don't sell many straight from the farm....

7:48 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It's pretty gloomy here too. I was so surprised when I checked my gardening notebook and saw that I planted peas on April 12th last year (!). We still have snow on the ground, so I don't know when I'll be able to get anything going. It's definitely frustrating!

Hey, one of my ducks went broody last year... I just kept her locked out of the house (where she wanted to nest) during the day. After about a week of "yelling" at me she got the idea.

9:43 AM  
Blogger El said...

I know; I am so sad. I just heard on the radio that our freezes have come too early to really hurt our orchards around here. But my asparagus and my plum tree are just mush. SIGH. One day...

11:12 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

i feel the same, but the photo is pretty none the less.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home