Monday, March 05, 2007

Things I didn't know I needed

1. Giant reclaimed sheet metal roosters. I need at least three. Actually I wouldn't mind several reclaimed sheet metal animals in my yard. I think a donkey would be particularly keen. Note to self: learn to weld.







2. A hanging bed in my garden. Really, all of us need this, don't you think? How cool would this be? A little mosquito netting hanging around the sides and it becomes my summer bedroom. Although a futon type thing would be nicer, something you could sort of fold up and it would become a giant swinging couch? I happen to have a futon that I'm not using in the garage attic. Note to self: increase carpentry skills or befriend Amish men.


I'm determined that this is the year of the patio. A nice simple flagstone deal in the "L" of the house. But that might now include a pergola with a hanging futon off to the side. An outdoor shower would be nice too. I'd better buy some lottery tickets.
3. And a greenhouse. Although I did know that I needed this. Really an entire separate glass house would be nice. That way I could use part of it for a chicken house, attach the outside shower and outside bedroom to one side, connecting to the flagstone patio. Perhaps a fixed grilling station. Theoretically, I could live entirely in my yard for the entire summer And then I'd only ever have to go into the real house to retrieve refrigerated items.....unless......

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Looks like someone went to the garden show this weekend. :)

As much as I like the *idea* of a bed in my garden, the bug pressure here is too intense.... they'd easily exploit the mosquito netting!

We built a bluestone patio and pergola at our last house. It was my favorite place in the world, and I still miss it. *sigh*

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw beds like that on a sleeping porch once on HGTV. I agree, I would want something that would fold up.
What does husband say to these yard plans?

The Portland Flower Show starts on Thursday, and I will be there, unless we get a blizzard.

5:15 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

I love the idea of a sleeping porch, and I love that so many older houses in Lancaster county still have them. I see sleeping porches on a lot of houses in my area. Also, I like the idea of a garden bed. Like a more comfortable hammock.

9:56 AM  
Blogger El said...

Two of my Wisconsin hobby-farm owning friends have outdoor showers. I helped one of them, she who OWNS a rooster like those, build her sleeping porch. She wants to build a sauna, too; she's mad I moved. It is such a fun place to stay.

Our house? Yes, it is out in the country, but it's pretty exposed on one full side. NO showers. Sniff. I guess I need to get out and dig and plant some trees if I really wanted FULL privacy. One day...

1:04 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

My husband is satisfied with an old lawnchair with a cup holder. You can't landscape around an old lawnchair.

I wish our house had a sleeping porch. Or any screened porch. I love porches. We have a front porch, but it isn't very private because of the road. Oh, I know. I two story addition. A sleeping porch up top and a regular porch down below. Haha. Now I am dreaming.

El, you could do an old clawfoot tub with boxwoods around it. That would be fun.

4:49 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

There are so many things on your blog that I love too. The idea of architectural elements in the garden fascinates me. I really want to learn basic metalwork also, so I can make garden ornaments. It's difficult to find any basic classes. Yeah, welding is offered thru adult school, but it's hardcore training for the serious professional. I don't need that. But a basic welding thing...that's on my 'to do' list.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home