Monday, January 29, 2007

More bathroom gardening




I was bored yesterday. It was cold (although not as cold as its been) and windy and I think I was fighting off some unknown ailment cause I just didn't feel right. Plus, on Saturday, I drove to Smoketown, excited to purchase the remainder of my seeds at Rohrer's. They were closed. Apparently not open on Saturdays until March! Arghhhhhhh! I can't wait until March! And only open normal business hours (8-5) monday thru friday! That totally sucked. I need to do something gardeny! I really want it to be spring sooner rather than later so I decided to start some seeds in the bathroom greenhouse window. I know it is too early, but I just wanted to play around with some dirt and seeds. So I started three little containers of stock seeds from my plants last year and in keeping with the tomato....three kinds of lettuce: Black seeded simpson, red sails, and Amish deer tongue. So we'll see. I just have this overwhelming urge to plant something, y'know? By the by, the tomato has one little bud on it! And I realized that although I think tomato foliage is stinky when you're crawling around in it weeding and it is humid and 85 degrees.....it smells heavenly in January.

Bulb patrol has begun in earnest as I walk around the yard bundled so only my eyes are showing to see what is up and about. Snow drops will be blooming in a week or so. A few daffodils are poking their little heads aboveground and I have two lenten rose blossoms. I love the first flowers of the year. They aren't the showiest but they aren't needy and boy are they a sight for sore eyes at the tail end of January.





Perhaps tomorrow I'll do the 6 weird things meme. I have to whittle the list down. There are a lot of weird things about me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way tomato plants smell, no matter the season. Stinky in a good way.

I deliberately chose not to list weird things. Call it self-censorship, but knowing my parents and hundreds of other folks would read it put a damper on my public expression of weirdness. But trust me, I'm plenty weird. :)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking that I should put some seeds in the dirt, too! I did stick a grapefruit seed in a pot the other day to see if it would sprout. If it does, it will get it's own pot. Your bathroom is turning into a neat little greenhouse.

6:03 PM  
Blogger El said...

I don't think it's too early to start alliums from seed. At least, that's my plan this weekend: I'll start the onions, scallions, and leeks. Would that help you? Also, there're other things that take about forever to sprout, like artichokes, so you could start them, too.

Likewise, I despise the smell of tomato foliage!! My absolute least-favorite task is tying them up, but I do it. Maybe it's reminding you of happier greener times...

11:05 AM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

I know the way you feel. Nothing says summer to me more than fresh basil.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home