Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Chilly

I'm cold today. It is actually seasonal out. But it may get to the mid-60s again on the weekend. Last weekend was phenomenal. I weeded, I cleared brush, I spread compost. Chickweed and speedwells were blooming in the lawn. Absolutely lovely. Until you notice the buds on the fruit trees and all the flowering shrubs about to burst open on this second week of January. Me thinks I'm not gonna get a whole lot of fruit this year.

Its Pennsylvana Farm Show week here in the midstate. I hope I get the chance to go. A lot of the focus this year is on alternative energy development in Pennsylvania. And I want to look at chickens. And then of course there is the food. One of the very best things available are the baked potatoes. Hard to believe that there could be much variation in the baked potato department. But there is. These are the best baked potatoes in the world. They practically ooze out of their jackets, they've been cooking for so long. Absolutely perfect!

And another entry in the "Attack the notion of responsible food" category. This time from Katha Pollitt of The Nation of all places. One of her New Years Resolutions:

4. Don't think your lifestyle can save the world. I love slow food! I cook slow food! I shop at farmers' markets, I pay extra for organic, I am always buying cloth bags and forgetting to bring them to the supermarket. But the world will never be saved by highly educated, privileged people making different upscale consumer choices. If you have enough money to buy grass-fed beef or tofu prepared by Tibetan virgins, you have enough money to give more of it away to people who really need it and groups that can make real social change.

Because really, what makes more of a tangible change? Handing cash directly to the farmer down the road that grows tomatoes or sending a check to a huge bureaucratic organization where it will probably be used for administration? The check of course, you snotty food elitists! Why help a person succeed in what they are doing while they are doing it? Better to let them fail and then give them a handout.

Take heart all my highly-educated, privileged friends making upscale consumer choices. We might not be able to save the world, but we can save some nearby farms.

I wonder if I could track down some Amish virgins to make that Tofu, thereby making it a 'local food'.




5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plants start blooming every winter warm spell in Oklahoma, but they still have fruit and flowers in the spring. You stuff should be okay.

Our next chance of snow is Sunday. It is supposed to be a mix, again!

I was thinking today, if a person, here in Maine bought a snowblower or snowmobile in October, they would have made three payments on it my now, and we have had no rideable or plowable snow!

I have had the same word for verifcation for the last hour, did you notice that, when you were checking out blogs?

5:41 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

You have no idea how bummed I am to be missing the farm show this year. I was off from work and home all last week -- that would have been the perfect time to go to the farm show! But no, it's this week, when I'm back at work. :o(

And yes, I've had the same word verification, too.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I guess I don't read enough blogs, but sure enough, "smenita" is my "word" for the day. Huh.

What is wrong with people?? Of COURSE it matters! It's foolish to think otherwise! Sheesh.

James wrote his dad a good response to the "eating locally doesn't matter" argument. Maybe I should post it one of these days...

7:10 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

dont underestimate the power of the priveleged consumer!

i agree why send a check that will go to pay for an organization's admin when it can go directly to the farmer.

i buy those things also because i care about what i eat!

11:00 AM  
Blogger swamp4me said...

Someone needs to tell Katha that "real social change" begins with the individual. We all make choices and those choices have consequences. A drop in the bucket? Perhaps, but get enough drops and you fill up that bucket.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home