Friday, December 15, 2006

No such thing as a free kitten

My little guy Roy was found on a street about 6 years ago as a stray. A tiny kitten, wandering about with his 6 brothers and sisters. Malnourished and dirty with no momma cat in sight, I watched them for awhile and when it became clear that they were strays, I picked up each and every one and put them into the big front pocket of my sweatshirt. I found good homes for everybody but Roy. He was the runt of the litter and someone had spattered paint on him so he looked perpetually dirty. Roy ended up staying. He also had some behavioral issues. He liked to nurse. On anything. Your ear, your neck, fingers, whatever was available. That personality quirk took awhile to go away. The two other cats that I had (Beenie and Blackie) accepted Roy eventually and became good friends. Now Beenie and Blackie are gone and only Roy is left. He acts a little like the dogs, wanting to be included in doggie things. After Beenie died in the spring, Roy lost a lot of weight. I attributed it to stress. In July, he was getting really thin and also was constantly thirsty. I thought diabetes but the vet took his temperature and looked him over (didn't take blood) and pronounced him healthy. Two weeks ago, I took him back. There was definitely something wrong with him and I wanted to know what it was. He was even thinner, drinking all the time and eating voraciously. This time they did take blood. Several hundred dollars later, lo and behold, Roy is diabetic. So this evening I have to go and learn how to give my cat shots of insulin. Grand. But at least little buddy will be fine after some fine tuning.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for taking care of the little cats. I hope Roy is feeling better. My friend Hazel has taken in three strays in the last year. One is still in the eating on the porch stage, but I am sure he will be in the house by the time snow comes.

4:18 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

oh my, I had no idea cats could be diabetic....

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always insist on bloodwork. Cats and dogs are a chemical soup that has absolute parameters, and it is so easy to verify through a blood test if they're diabetic, having renal failure, etc.

I gave one of my cats and i.v. (subcutaneous fluids) for almost three years. Her kidneys weren't working, but with this simple (okay not so simple) procedure a couple of times a week, she lived a long and happy life.

Granted, not everyone can give their pets shots, but love is a strange thing.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe they didn't go with your hunches. I've always been of the opinion an owner knows more about whats going on...especially the up drinking.
I'm glad you took little Roy back and have him on medication now. The injections aren't too tough. Any questions don't hesitate to write.
Give little Roy a hug for me...

11:31 AM  
Blogger swamp4me said...

"No such thing as a free kitten" should be followed by the adage that "no good deed goes unpunished."

I agreed to keep one of my son's friend's two cats for a couple of weeks so that they wouldn't have to stay in a kennel, costing the young man hundreds of dollars a week. The two weeks has turned into almost 4 months and no word from the young man...

I hope Roy is a shot-tolerant cat and all goes well with his treatment.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you!! I can relate, I have 6 rescues that range from 6 months to 21 years. I had a kitty with renal failure who was on subq fluids for 6 years, and another that was nearly 20 and diabetic that needed insulin twice daily. Make sure to check with your vet regarding proper injection, and what to expect if kitty goes into an insulin shock. We always kept karo syrup around to rub on his gums just in case. Youre doing a great thing!!!! Good luck to you. SalemsMom

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home