Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Its beginning to look a lot like.......


I know its a little more than 24 days away, but thats as far as the Santa counter goes. I have a little decorating done. But have lots more to do. I still have to do outdoor swags for the windows, but that will have to wait until Saturday. Tough to do that stuff in the dark.

Here is my cute little retro tree in my living room. Looking at those fat colored lights takes me right back to childhood. As do the burned fingertips. Tiny cool-brights are for weaklings.




The big Christmas tree will have to go somewhere else this year. I haven't heard from the carpet people yet about the installation date, so I'm thinking its not going to happen by the 9th. Which is OKAY. (Note my new, relaxed tone.) There is nothing wrong with having the main tree in a different place for one year. NOT A BIG DEAL, I say. We do however, have to put all the stereo equipment back in the armoire in order for me to play my adorable 40s-50s-60s Christmas CDs. And that really shouldn't happen until the carpet is put in because it is a major pain in the butt to put it all together and take it all apart again. So hurry please carpet people! I can't have a party without my super soudtrack! It just won't be the same.

I know this isn't very simple. Its kinda materialistic. Christmas is about Jesus, and sharing, and getting together with family and friends (I have a manger scene, I just haven't unpacked it yet). Which we do. But I can't help it. I just love decorating for Christmas. LOVE IT. If I see Christmas stuff in an antique store, better get out of the way. I could sit for hours going through boxs of old ornaments and decorations. I don't pay a lot for things. But I pay for a lot of things. Its fun to completely turn the house over and put a little holiday cheer in each and every room. And the yard. And the mailbox. And my office at work.

I may be a little aggressive though. I have found myself driving slowly past a house nearby where an elderly couple live. They have the best collection of outdoor plastic santas from 50s and 60s I have ever seen. There are about 20 of them. I'm not sure what I'd do with them, but I want them. I actually am contemplating stopping by and giving them my phone number. Just in case they are about to move into a retirement home that doesnt' allow plastic santas and they'd like to sell. To someone that really GETS plastic santas.

Anyway, how far are you in your holiday decorating? Show me your plastic santas people!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been seeing an ad on tv showing a tree with big lights. Did you get your recently, or do you still have them from the olden days? I found a string of blue ones downstairs a few years ago.They were the old ones for sure! My daughter took them for her yard.

You like old santas, too? I have a small collection that I will photograph when I get them out. Wonder if we have any of the same ones?

3:56 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

They are new old lights. They still get insanely hot. I bought them at Target two or three years ago. My grandfather had strings of giant red green and white lights from a long time ago. I wish I would have kept them.

5:13 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

Oh, those old fashioned lights. My sister has them and when my daughter was a toddler she burned her finger on them! Ouch. I'd forgotten about how hot they get. They do look pretty swell, though.

We'll be finishing up the last of the decorating this weekend (excluding the tree). The centerpiece of our decorations is our parol, which is a large hanging light made of capiz shells. My husband is Filipino so we, like every good Filipino house, have to have a parol in our window at Christmastime. I'll take a picture of ours and share it next week.

I just love old Santas and Christmas decorations from a long time ago, even reproductions. Can't wait to see more of your pictures.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so lame. We haven't decorated for the holidays in years (and even then, all we did was welcome lights). I wouldn't even know where to start.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um.... that last one was me. :) (see the lameness?!)

11:28 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

You aren't lame. You had a tree last year. So that is decorating. That counts. I just get a little carried away. Not necessarily a good thing.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some of my parents' old 50's and 60's Christmas ornaments. They are special. What a nice collection you have--I appreciate how you decorate with nostalgia, I don't think it's materialistic. I am such a minimalist these days--since we moved, over 4 years ago, I have not opened the boxes of ornaments and decorations, except for some of the outdoor lights...I have shifted to "decorating" for winter solstice and celebrating light out of doors. I keep an outdoor fire pit going throughout the holidays and evergreen decorations adorn the garden gate, doors and pergola (no tree anymore inside), this year we are trying a 20 ft strand of solar lights in one of the trees--if they work out, the lights will stay in the tree(s) year round...some of my holiday guests balk at the thought of sitting outside to sip cider or wine on a cold winter's night, but once they get out there (unless it's pouring), they change their mind and flow with the spirit and the fire and lights outside become a magnet. We've had some beautiful times celebrating in this way and lazy old me doesn't have to put the ornaments away in January.
No carpet yet? Last weekend, we drove to IKEA to get something to sit on for the sunporch--I was relieved what I liked was in stock at this time of year. Enjoy your holiday nesting time! Meredith, I wrote too many words here...you can tell I haven't been blogging. Here I go, I'm pushing 'publish'....

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home