Monday, November 27, 2006

Holiday wrap up



Foggy day here today. Actually yesterday was quite foggy as well. It's eerie in the early morning. Everything feels so heavy and damp and it's so quiet. It was beautiful the last three days and will be again today, making it up into the 60s. I was stringing lights on outside trees yesterday and it felt very strange to be decorating for Christmas without a coat on.

I hope everyone had a good holiday. Mine was nice. A lot of work, but worth it. I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Here are some shots of the meal itself. Try not to see the cans of soda on the table. Not local and soda with Thanksgiving dinner is kind of yucky, but whatever. There is no picture of the turkey as it was being carved as I took pictures and wasn't very attractive at that point. The table setting leaves a little to be desired, but I was hurrying at that point and was just concerned about getting the food onto the table with some semblance of warmth still attached to it.















This is what's left of the caramel swirl pumpkin cheesecake. I highly recommend this recipe. It is easy and always gets good reviews.










This was the only thing I managed to get a shot of before it was sliced. My apple-cranberry pie. Yummy.

One good thing about these past few weeks. That party is in less than two weeks. I am not going to get stressed out. Well, try not to at least. What gets done, gets done. I get myself all worked up and end up not enjoying myself because I am tired or anxious or what have you. Everyone had a good time at Thanksgiving regardless of the less than perfect table setting or lukewarm brussel sprouts. I have to learn to step back and be more relaxed. No one's expectations of me are nearly as high as what I expect of myself and I end up not having fun. And that isn't what holiday get togethers with friends and family are about. Lesson learned. Until next year.

6 Comments:

Blogger wurwolf said...

Wasn't it a beautiful couple of days? I think you're not alone in taking advantage of the nice weather to decorate for Christmas. I saw a lot of people out on their front lawns on Saturday, setting up their lighted reindeer and their plastic snowmen. :o)

Your Thanksgiving dinner looks very tasty! Holidays are always a lot of work -- I try to save as much of my vacation time as I can for the end of the year so I have enough time to get everything done without stressing out too much. I'm glad you were able to get through it without having a complete meltdown.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your desserts look great, and so does your table. We had a great day, after dinner, I watched CARS with my grandsons, while my husband watched Da Vinci Code with our daughter.
I tried several new recipes, but was most impressed with the roasted veggies. I will do that again!
That fog photo is really good. We have been having such nice weather, sunny and warm, doesn't feel like Maine at all.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Wow that pie looks so good! I especially love the little star cut-outs. :)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Set for a wonderful meal. In addition to pumpkins, I have a bucket in the garage full of apples. Would you share the apple cranberry recipe? It looks great.
I will be back to follow you party & Christmas preparations. Now I'll go check out the ideas others left you.

2:25 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001555apple_cranberry_pie.php

not sure how to make that into a link, but that is the apple cranberry pie recipes. Pretty easy and suprisingly good.

4:43 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

It has been foggy like that around here too...and mild!

Your Thanksgiving table and deserts look great!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home