Thursday, January 04, 2007

Request for information

It's getting down to the line for planning the 2007 garden. I have the catalogs assembled and have made sticky notes of what I want from where. But, the grass is always greener, and I am paranoid that as soon as I send away the money, some faulous seed catalog that I've forgotten about will arrive in my mailbox. I have the following catalogs:

Baker Creek
Seed Savers Exchange
Fedco
High Mowing
Nichols Nursery
Jungs
Gurneys
Pinetree
Territorial
Select Seeds (flowers)
a few berry catalogs that I can't remember right at the moment

and for fruit trees:
Raintree
Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery
St. Lawrence (order it just for the pen/ink drawings)
Adams County Nursery

Are there any great ones that I am missing? Leave me a comment.

7 Comments:

Blogger El said...

You should do a zipcode check on The Garden Watchdog to see if there are hidden gems tucked in the hills near your place...that might help you with fruit trees that'll really grow well for you. http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

The other tip I got recently was for Sand Creek Preservation, an Iowa place that sells both heirloom seeds, tons of sweet potatoes, and--and you'll appreciate this--tons of heirloom poultry!
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

Otherwise, you already have a lot of the usual suspects. A good herb guide is Richter's out of Ontario.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been ordering from Baker Creek for a few years now and they haven't disappointed. You might also want to check out Johnny's Select Seeds. I've had good luck with them also.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

9:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't ever bothered with catalogs anymore, but Swallowtail garden seeds and Renee's Garden are both good sources. Renee's Garden seeds are carried by my local nursery, and I ordered Swallowtail online this fall.

9:35 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Johnny's. I'll have to request a catalog from them. I did check out Sand Creek. They look really interesting, esp. the poulty. Some kinds of chickens I've never seen before. Will also check out Renees and Swallowtail. Thanks.

9:41 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

Seeds of Change. I'm going to call them today because I haven't yet received their current catalog. They always have some interesting varieties.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 15 so far, with pages turned down in all of them. But, in the end, I will probably order from Pinetree, Johnny's, Veseys (Canada), and Seeds of Change.
Seed catalogs get me through the winter!

5:14 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Victory Seed Co. is pretty good. They have a large choice of open pollinated and heirloom types....

you have reminded me that I must get busy! This weather has me all mixed up...

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home