Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Loving global warming

I am. I'm sorry. I can't help it. I know its wrong. But I love this crazy weather. We have had only a handful of nights that temperatures have gotten below freezing. Every day that I was off over the holidays, I took the dogs for a long walk.....in a sweatshirt. I weeded over the holidays! At the end of December people!!!!! I always thought I wanted to move to North Carolina or even further south to take advantage of the mild temperatures. I hate snow and ice. Now I don't have to! They are coming to me!!!! The weather forecast for the rest of this week is highs to almost 60 degrees and not getting below freezing at all. This is awesome!

I know. Not awesome. Polar bears are starving. The ice caps are melting. All coastal areas will be flooded. But I'm doing as much as I can to not contribute to it. Can I help that I'm not as morose as I should be? I'm downright giddy. Okay, just a short post. Hope everybody's New Year started out well. I gotta go though. My truckload of Zone 8 nursery plants just arrived. Gotta get planting! Zone 6b my behind!

Okay, only kidding. That would be jumping the gun. But I may push the envelope to Zone 7 plants this year. Just to see what happens.

6 Comments:

Blogger El said...

Looking for that silver lining, aren'tcha? I am looking across the road to the abandoned farm and yes indeedy the large forsythia is...budding. Small buds, though; not full-fledged blossoms. There's a stink bug walking across my laptop (where did YOU come from) and, when I went to get the nonexistent mail today, I saw two frogs on the pond. IN JANUARY!

I guess I would be a lot happier if I could plant my stuff in March, or February. But I won't risk it. (Or will I? If this weather keeps up, I guess I will be so stir-crazy to do some planting...)

3:43 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

totally looking for the silver lining. The forsythia had about 10 fully open blossoms on it. Granted, it was right along the Susquehanna River, so that buffers the temps a little, but still. Frogs in January? The poor little guys. Hopefully they don't lay eggs right now. I won't actually plant anything now, but it is awesome to really get to do yardwork (clean up etc) before the overwhelming pace of real spring kicks in. I'm debating about whether to start seeds yet or not. I know its too early, but it just feels right outside, you know?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here, we a little snow over the weekend, but it is gone, and are supposed to be in the 40's all week. You are the second northern blogger I have read today who weeded over the holidays.
I got my 12th seed catalog today, and am already getting anxious to start planning my garden. I usually work on my seed orders in January and February,and have some seeds started by late March. That keeps me in the gardening spirit all winter!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about it...it was the warmest December ever recorded up here. Heck, I still have some of my plants going great in the greenhouse (we don't have heat in there yet). I just saw the forcast and the same thing here...highs up to the 60s this week. My spring bulbs are starting to sprout.

Like you, we also do our part to help out with the global warming. I'm just worried this is majorly going to screw up spring bulbs and fruit trees around here. I know we're going to get smacked by old man winter some time...maybe in June!!

Hope you have a great year too.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mer, you are crazy. We're still getting below freezing at night, but this week is going to be in the 40s. I'm afraid that we'll start losing things like paper birch (and maple syrup) if this trend continues.

I better not hear you complaining about the excessive heat this summer. ;)

10:18 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I would never, ever complain about excessive heat. There is no such thing.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home