Thursday, December 21, 2006

Almost better than Christmas


Yay! I made it! The shortest day of the year! From here on out, we gain daylight! Woohoo! Seriously, the last two weeks or so, when I wake up in the morning, I feel like I'm underwater. I just feel so sleepy and slow. Its strange the effect that light has on some people. Before I started paying attention to it, every November I thought I was sick. Really sick. Surely I had cancer or lupus or some horrible disease because I would get so tired and sleepy and my body just felt bad. So I would go to the doctor and they wouldn't find anything. After a few years of this, I realized that it happened every year, just about the same time, around the middle of November. And every year in the first week or so of February, I would feel great again. Just like one day, all of a sudden, it would feel like a light switch got turned back on and I would have lots of energy again. So now I expect it, and don't go running to the doctor. But it sure is nice to get to the end and know that every day from now until June 21st, there will be more and more light. Definitely something to celebrate!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I'm right there with ya. WOO HOO! Light! And I'm betting the poultries and cabbages are going to dig it, too. :-)

9:40 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the sun is on the top of my Christmas tree. I have suns on both trees. A little nod to the tree's pagan past.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Celbration-party wise, we celebrate X-Mess, not solstice, but man, every solstice I am VERY grateful to being able to look forward to the sun being out even a few minutes longer each day! Doing barn chores in the cold is one thing, in the cold and dark it's just no fun at all!

5:01 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

It IS amazing how the amount of light makes a difference for some of us....I for one would never make it in Alaska without a pair of those "sun glasses"...

8:29 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

yes, it will be nice to collect eggs when I get home without a flashlight. I could never live in Alaska either. The long dark winter would just be too much.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home