Friday, January 26, 2007

So. Very. Cold.

Come back unaturally warm temperatures! Wind chills were in the single digits last night and I think the overnight low was 10 degrees. It won't get above freezing today. I hate this so very much. You just have no idea how I detest being cold. Husband built a roaring fire last night and it was so very comfy, but I thought I would die taking the dogs out several times last night. The wind was just tearing across the area. And the chickens. I was convinced that I would open the door to dead chickens this morning when I gave them their yogurt. Yes, I feed them yogurt every morning. They get really excited about yogurt. I started feeding yogurt to correct a gastointestinal malady about a month ago in one chicken. Yogurt supposedly helps get them back to normal. It worked (or the illness improved on it's own) but the chickens get very cranky now when I open up their coop to let them out and I don't have a bowl in my hand. Talk about getting the cold shoulder. Anyway, I was convinced the cold would have killed them. Tossed and turned for much of the night listening to the wind and imagining chickens slowly freezing to death. If husband would have been away last night, those chickens would have been in the garage with a blanket over them. But they were fine this morning. Jumping up to get at the yogurt bowl I held in my hands, excited to run outside. None the worse for wear. I worry too much.

I want winter to be over in the worse way. And its only been here a very little while.

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I had to force the ducks to go inside their little house last night. I swear they'd stay out all night if they could (and it got *well* below zero last night). Crazy waterfowl!

(I draw the line at bringing them warm porridge or yogurt, though. I'm a meanie!)

1:47 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

You aren't mean. I'm just crazy. I actually had to hesitate this morning, stopping myself from heating up the yogurt and deciding against mixing in some cracked corn. Ridiculous.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the cold finally hit up here as well. Sure doesn't take my mutleys long to do their business and get back inside the house. =)

LOL...I had to laugh at your chicken story...I would have been doing the same thing. Laying in bed worrying all night long.

Good idea about the yogurt too...the mutleys get some with their dinner every night.

10:02 AM  
Blogger gail2656 said...

you chicken story was funny. chickens are pretty hardy. they know how to stay warm. I never thought about giving them yougert...good idea

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I giggled at your chicken story, too. Frankly, I have no idea how you didn't talk him into letting you put them in the garage anyway--I worry so much that it definitely would have gotten the better of me!

BTW, I don't know about where you are, but we're supposed to have this cold weather ALL WEEK. :(

8:00 PM  
Blogger El said...

We are getting some cold weather here, too, but what's worse is we have a ton of snow. The chickens can't get through it...and I draw the line at shoveling 20" deep snow in their pen! So I opened the door and they spend most of the day looking out at the white stuff and clucking in disgust.

Our chickens LOVE leftover cereal (hot or cold). And rice. And lettuce. Actually, they're gourmands. I'd give them yogurt too except I love it too much to share ; )

Keep your chin up, M. This cold weather will pass, then it will be Mud Season for about 3 months before we can plant anything!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Some chickens can get frostbite on their combs and wattles, and even toes. There is a fellow who lives over the river from me (on the NY side) ...and he took a few roo's off my hands once. When we went to visit, I saw he had a few chickens that were missing parts of their feet. He said it was frostbite. They turn black and fall off. I keep a thermometer inside the henhouse...just to keep watch (and sleep at night!)

3:58 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Some chickens can get frostbite on their combs and wattles, and even toes. There is a fellow who lives over the river from me (on the NY side) ...and he took a few roo's off my hands once. When we went to visit, I saw he had a few chickens that were missing parts of their feet. He said it was frostbite. They turn black and fall off. I keep a thermometer inside the henhouse...just to keep watch (and sleep at night!)

3:58 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

So what do you do to prevent frostbite? I think I read somewhere that petroleum jelly slathered on wattles and feet will prevent frostbite. Have you ever done that? Do you bring them in when it gets really cold? They have a heater in there now that heats the waterer, so I'm thinking that buffers a little bit.

4:29 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

When it gets really cold like this, I keep them in their yard. We have an area of the run that is covered with a plastic tarp. They have a nice roost out there, and when the sun shines- it creates somewhat of a greenhouse effect. I'm sure it is the dull drum for them, so I try to provide millet sprays or old pumpkins to keep them interested in something! Never tried the vaseline...
Our hen house has a heated water tank but that is it. I use the deep litter method on the floor.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a chicken frostbite disaster this weekend. Normally, we close them up at night. But we were out of town, and the person watching them could only come during the day. Well, the door to their coop blew shut from the wind and trapped 9 of the 11 outside all night (in single digit cold). Our Leghorn, Pearl, was the only one affected. But she looks terrible! Her whole comb is swollen and dark-colored. I feel terrible. Poor Pearl.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home