Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Old Sled Works

So, as I was saying, I went antiquing on Saturday with my friend. Not really antiquing, more like browsing old stuff. I always picture antiques as really old and really expensive. We went to the Old Sled Works in Duncannon, PA. It is now an antique dealer mall with over 125 vendors but it used to be the Standard Novelty Company which made Lightning Glider sleds from 1904 to 1990. In addition to a little museum thing that shows all the different sleds that made and lots of historic pictures, they have great old stuff....especially great old kitchen stuff! Which makes my heart go pitter pat.
After Christmas I was looking at Martha Stewart refrigerator containers, the precursor to tupperware and gladware etc. She had some nice refrigerator-ware but it was pretty expensive. And boring looking. So I started looking around. I got this set of Pyrex refrigerator ware for far less than new Martha Stewart stuff and it is so much much cuter. Plus I got another blue one and this
cute little glass one (that someone stenciled tomatoes and radishes on) for a dollar a piece. I will have adorable leftover vessels for the rest of my life!! Go me!!



I also got (for $2) this super cute vintage tea towel which will learn me my cuts of meat and where they come from on the respective animal. In case I ever get as committed as Jamie and want to purchase a half hog. Or a half sheep (do they come in halves?) Or a cow.

And for $1 I got this cute little floral apron that was in really good condition. It is so soft and you can tell that is was well used. I wore it last night to make sausage and peppers. Hee. It fits in well with the rest of my aprons. I probably have enough now, but really, how can you pass up a $1 apron?







My aprons live here, in my laundry room with my grandfathers clothespins and my old bars of Fels Naptha soap (in the jar between the plants). Click here to visit someone else whose laundry room is spruced up with aprons.

14 Comments:

Blogger wurwolf said...

Wow, you really did great! I just love the tea towel and the food containers. Very cool -- I'm jealous! I'll have to try to find this place you're talking about some weekend soon.

8:28 AM  
Blogger El said...

What great and useful finds!

And I LOVE your light-filled laundry room. It's the one room of a house in which I actually LIKE to see white walls! I've got bars of Fels-Naptha in mine, but they're in a box in our dingy basement laundry area.

Don't you find it hard to "just say no" at antique malls? We're in an antiques-row area that caters to Chicago people, so weekenders tend to crawl all over the place. It's this time of year, though, that we locals can get the place to ourselves...and there are a lot of deals. (How many cast-iron pans do I really need, though?)

9:00 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

You need four cast iron pans, in descending sizes, starting at the size just perfect to fry a single egg all the way up to the family size fried chicken pan. Plus a dutch oven, a ridged grill pan. And then of course the cute little corn cob shaped muffin pan. Becasue everybody needs a corn cob shaped muffin pan.

11:16 AM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

It's laundry and apron week! Check out Susie Sunshine's Tuesday post. :o)

11:38 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Did you ever make corn bread in the corn bread shaped muffin pan?
Mine has only been used a few times, but looks great hanging up!

And I think you might also need the flat round cast iron skillet, for pancakes, and omlets...

I love that you have your grandfathers clothespins...

10:24 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

In reality I only have three or maybe four cast iron pieces. Three frying pans and a dutch oven. I'd like to gradually replace almost everything with cast iron. Nonstick stuff scares me now and once you get a cast iron pan properly seasoned, they are so nice to use. I would like the little corn cob muffin pan though.

12:11 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

those glass storage containers are great. they're so much better and healthier than plastic.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

What finds! I can feel myself being called to the assorted second hand charity shops nearby...must go tomorrow! Enjoy the treasures.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stylish laundry room! I have a similar shelf in my kitchen (cobalt blue) with aprons, but you have given me a solution to the bowl display problem I have. I want them out to be seen, but up, out of the way.
You are better than HGTV!!!

Oh, and I am also going to steal the soap storage idea. Thanks for that, too.

What a productive visit I had.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owww...a woman after my own heart...old kitchen utinsels and stuff make my heart flutter!! I have a couple of the clear glass containers like the one you have pictures. They have the fruit etched into the glass. I think my mom gave them to me.

I use a lot of my old utensils, especially when canning. Love, love, love those old kitchen kitch!!

Your laundry room is my dream laundry room!!

10:06 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Thanks for all the nice comments about the laundry room. It is a pleasant place for a mudane task. And it seems so much calmer without the ugly soap boxes/bottles etc. So feel free to use that in your laundry room. I forget where I first saw it, Country Living Probably.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love those leftovers containers... I have been looking for something like that for a while now because I absolutely despise plastic! I must go antiquing soon.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My God. You thrift too? You have an apron collection? Are you my long lost twin?!

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a kindred soul. I have a lot of kitchen collectibles and am trying to research them. I have a corn cob baker made of Pyres. Do you have any info? Your laundry room is gorgeous. I love the old aprons. da

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home