Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Staunch character


Okay, so remember when I said that I joined Netflix? Well one of the features that I recently watched was Grey Gardens, something I don't think I could find at a Blockbuster. Have you seen this? It is a documentary filmed in 1976 by the Maysle Brothers (of Gimme Shelter fame) about the Beales. Big Edie and Little Edie Beale. Mother and Daughter. Aunt and Cousin of Jackie Onassis. Living in squalor with 30 cats and raccoons in a mansion in Long Island. There is currently a very successful Broadway play with Christine Ebersole based on the story?
Oh.My.God.
I've watched it three times now (and every extra on the DVD) and am probably going to buy it because I can easily see myself watching it many, many, many more times. I think I have a problem. There is probably no 12-step program for this.
And that woman's voice (Little Edie, pictured above) is in my head. I hear her odd quotes all day long. "This is the best costume for the day." "Its very hard to keep the line between the past and the present, know what I mean?" "Its just a sea of leaves." "Whose been dropping books around here is what I want to know." All done in the most grating Boston aristocracy accent you can imagine. Tennessee Williams could not have made these people up.
I feel like a crazy person because I honestly wish I could just step into the documentary and sit and talk to these people (even though both are now deceased). Thankfully, Amazon.com reviews and Netflix reviews reveal many more people that are mesmerized by this movie and also have seen it many, many times. So if you can get your hands on it, watch it. At your own peril. You'll either love it or think I'm crazy for spending more than 10 minutes watching it. Sadly, there is a movie coming out based on the story starring Drew Barrymore and Meryl Streep which will probably ruin everything.

15 Comments:

Blogger wurwolf said...

I haven't seen this movie but I've heard of it. I'll have to netflix it myself.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be watching for this one!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Oh, we'll add it to our netflix request!

10:55 PM  
Blogger El said...

LOVE Netflix.

I remember when Little Edie died: there was a huge spread on her in the NYTimes. At the time I thought what's the big deal, nutty aristocrats are a dime a dozen. It's the connected aristocrats we (they?) care about, I guess...

7:50 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for the reminder about this one... I just checked the library system and they *actually* have it!

8:55 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Connected or not, this nutty aristocrat was just interesting. I wish I had been her neighbor. It would have been great fun to live next door. I believe I would have shown up every evening with cocktails in a thermos to just be around those two.

So everybody Netflix it and watch it and then we can all discuss it. I only have one friend that I pretty much begged to watch it just so I would have someone to talk about it with. When you arrive and describe your outfit and 'the best costume for the day' and nobody gets it, its just no fun.

11:47 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I'll add it to my queue. I love that queue--I used to go to blockbuster and I'd never remember what titles I wanted to see.

I linked your blog on my post today.

I hope that's okay with you. I would have emailed you, but it's not linked on your blog.

1:17 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

i love this movie too. watched it in a film class in college. i feel i need to rewatch it now!

2:25 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

yes, yes, efb. rewatch it and then we should go see the broadway show. would it embarass you too much if I dressed as Little Edie?

2:05 PM  
Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Greetings.

I heard about this on NPR awhile back, but completely forgot about it. I'm glad I stumbled by to be reminded. I'll try to locate it.

Thanks.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Juli said...

Excellent.. thanks for the recommendation. I was about to add it to my Q but realized my library carries it. I look forward to seeing it!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Ooh. Edge Effect, meet Jew Eat Yet! Danny Miller writes about the movie here.

Now I really really want to see it.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this one in my Netflix queue and it is the next one in line to be sent! Can't wait to see it.

3:24 PM  
Blogger New Dawn Initiative said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home