Thursday, July 05, 2007

OLS 2




We had a very wet fourth, how 'bout you? I don't mind the rain though. It's been really dry. Not that you can tell by the corn across the street. I think we're well past "knee high by the fourth of July", don't you?








This was Monday's meal. The husband was home and eating so I have be totally honest and admit the use of......gulp.....Shake n' Bake. Don't hate me. The pork is from our local Darrenkamp's Market which the butcher assured me came from one of several pig farmers in Lancaster County that they buy from. Corn and squash are from Masonic Homes in Elizabethtown. Squash is local and the corn is from Delaware, most of which is within my 100-mile range. The tomato
and basil salad came from the garden.
For dessert, there was the black raspberry sorbet that I made with my new ice cream maker, which I love, love, love. Black raspberries came from my garden. I made more sorbet yesterday which I will savor and ration out, as the black raspberries are over for the year. Part of the joy of eating seasonally is the anticipation of beloved fruits and vegetables coming into season, and eating as much of something as possible before the season fades away into another. Would this sorbet taste as good if I could get black raspberries all year round? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

12 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Oh, so you didn't mind the rainy Independence Day? I did! It sure ruined the annual Fourth of July festivities in Lititz Springs Park!

Your blackberry sorbet looks great! It more than makes up for your use of blasphemous Shake & Bake. :o)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Mmmm... that sorbet looks fabulous. I'm on pins and needles waiting for my raspberries to ripen (can you tell this is the first year I harvest?).

What do you think of the taste diff (if any) between black and red raspberries?

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure am glad I just got finished eating dinner before looking at your post!! Yum-my!!! And..uhh...I'm a shake-n-bake lover too....guess it's cause I grew up with it. I'll have to get out my book on being frugal. I think they have a recipe for home made shake-n-bake.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I might have to disagree with you on that last statement, meresy_g... just the pictures of that sorbet made my mouth water, so I'm thinking it would probably taste good year round if you could manage that! :)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

There's not a thing wrong with Shake and Bake. It's nothing more than pre-mixed seasonings, or so I tell myself. The rest of the meal is so that puts you in another class altogether.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

Oops, one word dropped out. It should say "the rest of the meal is gourmet"

6:20 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Do you have a recipe you can share for that sorbet? Have you made it with boysenberries also? Blueberries? Strawberries? A mixture? It sounds refreshing. I may need to invest in an ice cream maker.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a good rain shot! We are finally getting enough rain to turn the grass back to green, and perk up the garden.
Love the looks of that meal. Did you get a big ice cream maker or one of those small ones? I am thinking about getting one.

7:35 AM  
Blogger sara said...

I loved this post! I'm blown away but how much taller your corn is than ours here in Michigan. We would have loved some of your rain as everything here is rather dry!

Also loved the "seasonal foods" comments. We just finished reading the new Barbara Kingsolver book about living a year on food she & her family planted -- and she made the same observations!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

We had black raspberries in our second OLS dinner, too! :D

2:07 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

There probably isn't an appreciable difference in types of raspberries. I like black ones though because they were the ones in the woods and fields behind our house growing up and we spent hours picking as kids. I bought a Cuisinart 1.5 quart ice cream maker which makes just enough for probably three or four servings each for two people.

I adapted the strawberry sorbet recipe in the instruction booklet. I will post it later this week.

6:14 PM  
Blogger kris said...

The homemade sorbetlooks very yummy! Our 4th was hot and sunny - but finally Sunday received some much needed rain. Sometimes you have to enjoy it when you get it!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home