Friday, June 29, 2007






My nieces were down over the weekend. We went to the Marietta carnival and watched the fireworks on Saturday evening from the front porch. The corn is so darn high, some of the low ones were cut off, but still nice to have a show from your own porch. Since I have so many black raspberries still, I picked up one of those automatic Cuisinart ice cream makers (the kind you don't need ice and salt) and we made a very good black raspberry sorbet. It was so easy!

Shady Acres, the farm that I buy dairy products from recently started selling ice cream. I got peanut butter last week. Very, very good. They have Jersey (I think) cows which make really superior dairy items. The butter is out of this world. I'm excited about using their heavy cream to make black raspberry ice cream.






We had ladies luncheon last Friday at work and I made deviled eggs and pimiento cheese to bring in. I made homemade mayonnaise for the first time. That was exciting. If you haven't tried it, you must. And it is kind of magical how the emulsion just suddenly happens and what was an eggy oily slop suddenly becomes fluffy yummy mayonnaise. Much different than bottled mayo.




The inundation has begun. I put in waaaayyyy too many tomato plants this year. This week's local meal(and probably many weeks after) will figure heavily with tomatoes. And I have two eggplants!
I took the girls to see Ratatouille on Sunday so maybe I'll make something like that! It was a good movie with stunning animation, but not a movie for little, little kids. There were several in the audience that lost interest about half-way through. More of an older child and adult movie




For some reason, I'm having trouble getting YouTube videos to post to my blog. But since we were talking about art in the last post, I thought I would link to This. Very cool.

13 Comments:

Blogger El said...

You envy my peaches, but I am so far from a red tomato it's ridiculous.

And I also envy your access to dairy. I am having to go through hell to get me some buttah.

happy 4th!

12:52 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Make some butter. The food column in the Sunday NYT Magazine discussed how easy it was. I'd like to try it. Do you have any local milk sources?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Homemade black raspberry sorbet and ice cream? How wonderful that sounds, Meresy.

You probably would turn up your nose, but we don't make our pimiento cheese, just buy it at the local grocery. Over the last eight years it's morphed from an interesting new regional food to a refrigerator staple like milk or eggs.
Annie at the Transplantable Rose

2:54 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I would never turn up my nose at pimiento cheese. In the south, I've had many very good store bought versions of pimiento cheese. And it is amazing that many southern grocery stores carry several different varieties. Here in PA you are lucky to find one. I wish it was a staple in my refrigerator. I could eat pimiento cheese on toast every single day.

3:13 PM  
Blogger El said...

Just goat milk. Used to have a milk lady but she ran afoul of the law (she brought Amish dairy milk across the state line) last fall, so since then none, and so I am so sad.

Butter IS easy. I used to *sniff* make it with my cow share. It works better now, when they're on great grass (that is, if the drought hasn't hit it yet). And real buttermilk, not the cultured kind, makes some mighty fine pancakes the next day.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post made me very hungry! You can't have too many tomatoes. Your work buddies will appreciate your overflow, I am sure.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I think we might have passed Shady Acres on Saturday on the way home from the farm market. Is it on E-town Road? It looked so rinky dink, with a small homemade sign out front. But those places often have the best food.

6:18 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

oh my, now you have made me want a bowl of ice cream!

When I was a kid, we went to a place called the Home Dairy....they made their own ice cream from their dairy..I would always get a double dip...rasberry sherbert with vanilla...and eat it whilst watching the fireflies..

9:01 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Homemade butter is out of this world! I didn't make it but a friend of mine did.

I want to try making mayo too but it had better wait a while til I get the diet back on track. :)

10:40 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Faith, yes, Shady Acres is on Etown Road. It isn't very big, but they have a little building out back where they sell their meat and dairy and veggies. We've gotten our Thanksgiving Turkey from there for the last three years. And a little further down Etown Road (towards Manheim) is where my rooster is, at Meadowview Apiary. They sell eggs and honey.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Okay, so we did pass it then. And we also passed Meadowview Apiary! If I'd known I would have stopped to buy some honey and say hello to Roo. Some Saturday morning I'll stop off at those two places to check it out.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum...home made pimento cheese is my absolute favorite. Every time I visit my family down in VA I go to the farmers market and buy a bunch of it.
Mind sharing your recipe as I've never made it before and I have a couple small jars of pimentos in the pantry that would just love to be used. =)

7:27 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Will post the pimiento cheese recipe also later this week with the sorbet recipe from the above post.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home