Monday, June 11, 2007

More chickens!

I had a few days off at the end of last week. And in addition to getting caught up (ha!) with the garden and cleaning the house, and all the other things that pile up, I went to visit my rooster. He is doing well at Meadowview Apiary and is king of his own little harem. When the owner asked about my own hens, I said they were doing fine except that one was broody off and on. He asked me if I wanted to hatch some of Roo's fertilized eggs! He gave me a dozen and I am free to keep all the hatched chicks or give them back. I will probably give them back. Well, maybe I'll just keep one. Or two.

Anyway, when I got home with the dozen eggs and put them in a pile, Claire was beside herself and hopped on and hasn't willingly budged since. I pull her off every afternoon to make sure she eats something and runs around a little. It will be interesting to have newly hatched chicks with a mother hen.


The owner of Meadowview Apiary (in addition to bees) has so many chickens and turkeys and ducks, I can't imagine keeping track of them all.









Thank goodness he didn't offer me any of these to take home. Cause I totally would have.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that Claire is happy now. And let's just see how many of those chickens you keep. Be sure to get some baby chick shots, they are so cute!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE goats! My ex's great aunt and uncle have a farm with goats and such, and we used to go out there every Thanksgiving. Yeouch when you get head butted, but fun nonetheless.

Do you really think you can give the chicks back? I doubt that I could...

By the way, since you were at an apiary, did you buy any good honey while you were there? The local guy who used to sell his honey out by the road--one of those deals where you left money and took a jar on the honor system--went out of business after someone complained to the city about him having beehives. (Don't even get me started on that.) So I don't have a good source anymore. *sigh*

6:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Note: I should have said yeouch when you get head butted by baby goats. I have never been butted by anything big enough to actually injure me.

(I obviously need someone to talk with about gardening and farm animals during the daytime so I don't continue to leave overly wordy comments--some with addendums, for heavens sake--don't you think?) :-P

6:39 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Look at all that chickenie goodness!! And goats too! And bees! Claire must be very happy now... She is a gentle lady to let you pull her off the nest!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

Aw, cute goats! And happy hatching!

I had a couple of Bantams as a kid, but they didn't adapt well to suburban living (hard to keep them in the yard). Back to the farm they went. In retrospect, I wonder what my parents were thinking.

2:26 AM  
Blogger El said...

Lucky Claire!! Are those Isa Browns and Black Australorps? I love IBs. And I love having a rooster-free yard, too.

Keep us posted. T-minus 27 days?

10:20 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

A woman after my own heart :)

I had a manager recently who allowed his pet goat to sit on his head. I figure any guy who does that is okay in my book.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

Your chickens are just so cute. I love reading about them. And I'm soooooooo jealous. :o)

8:37 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I did not buy any honey while I was there. We do have a large honey operation close by and I am fully stocked up. I did buy a Brown Turkey Fig tree though. Really psyched about that. Its a little thing though and it will be awhile before I see any figs.

Claire is my gentle lady. I hand feed her every evening cause I just don't think she eats enough. And she lets me take her off the nest and handle the eggs. Somebody keeps laying eggs in there so I have to sort through and find the unmarked ones. No pecking at all.

I don't know what all kinds of chickens were at Meadowview. There were many. And they were all so pretty. But I'm partial to my girls.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww...that's so sweet you check in on your rogue rooster. Sounds like something I would do. =) More baby goats...you're giving me baby goat-itis. We owned one growing up and I loved her so much. Can't wait to see the mama hen running around with chicks.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home