Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm still here

I haven't disappeared. I just have been very busy with work and garden stuff and when I stop for a minute to catch my breath, I find I don't really have much to say.










I put the tomato stand up over the weekend. This is a photo from last year, but same stand....just different tomatoes. I've almost made enough that the tomatoes have paid for themselves, so that is nice.

I'm embarassed that I missed OLS again, but I keep waiting to make these wonderful meals, and it just isn't happening. I'm pretty much existing on the following: either cantelope (from Nissley farms, 5 miles) or blackberries (my yard) for breakfast, my own cucumbers in that Basic Su dressing I blogged about a while back and tomatoes and a peach (Masonic Homes) for lunch, and tomatoes with basil and fresh mozzarella and olive oily croutons with balsamic for dinner. We're talking almost every day. It doesn't make for good reading.

I seriously could eat a bucket of those cukes in that Su dressing. Really refreshing in the heat and humidity if they are really chilled. But at the rate I'm going I won't have any pickles to put up. Not that I have the time right now to do any canning anyway.

I can't believe it is august already. Summer is rapidly winding down and I think I'm also getting a little sad about that. Maybe that is why I don't have that much to say right now. Anyway, I'm still here and will read and comment on your blogs as I find time.

14 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Sounds like you're having a lot of local meals, you're just not blogging about it. Good to hear from you, and good luck with your tomatoes.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to buy some of those tomatoes! They look so good. You are right about cucumbers being great in the hot weather. When I came to Maine, I discovered that people here make sandwiches out of them with just a little mayo and lots of crushed black pepper. It is one of my favorite summer lunches.

6:02 PM  
Blogger kris said...

Photo of the butterfly is cool. Your meals sound pretty tasty - perfect for hot summer days!

2:05 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

I would pull over if I saw that sign. That is a great sign. Is your stand self serve?

7:56 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

My stand is self serve. I have a little honor jar and everything. I sell a good number, but I am still inundated with tomatoes. I really need to find some time to can.

Sandy, the cucumber and mayo sandwhich sounds lovely. Very good for a hot summer day.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fret about the blogging
frequency--do it when you feel like
it.
Several of my regular favorite
bloggers have thrown in the towel
this summer, and I really think its
mostly because they burnt themselves out.
We're always eager to hear from
you, but only when youre up for it!

Marci

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sympathize... I jumped this morning when I realized it was August, and I haven't gotten done nearly half of what I'd planned this summer. I love fall, but I had wanted to have my fence up by now, and a number of other projects done as well. *sigh*

6:18 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Your tomato sign makes me so happy. :)

I made a dressing similar to your Basic Su, only I boiled mint in it... it was a failed mint sauce for lamb that turned out to be PERFECT for cukes! Thanks for the inspiration!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I'd happily be your customer, Meresy!

BTW, have you read GardenRant lately? The topic of garden blogs and Burpee was touched on, reminding me that you've had your own interesting encounter.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

6:56 PM  
Blogger Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Love the swallowtail butterfly photo! How do you get them to sit sit.....:).

8:53 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

I'll take those surplus toms!

Would being tagged for Seven Random Gardening Facts be enough inspiration for another post??

10:06 AM  
Blogger El said...

I roasted some beets the other day (I always overload the grill actually) and then last night put some Basic Su on a couple. OMG.

So Thanks!

9:47 AM  
Blogger kris said...

Hi - I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for the comment you left on my blog - I really appreciate it. This has been very draining emotionally - and very scary to think this bridge was not rated the worst in the country. I hope some good things happen because of this disaster.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of think of Burpee and all
it represents as the Antithesis of gardening.
They would love to patent the whole idea of gardening and charge
royalties for even thinking about
it! Gardening, Inc!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home