Friday, September 28, 2007

serendipitous


Show me some color!
This is a volunteer Grandpa Ott morning glory and some sweet potato vine. I have a planter between the garage doors in which I planted the sweet potato vine and some orange french marigolds. Well, the marigolds didn't do too well and were puny and stick like by mid-July (not enough sun apparently) but the vine was doing very well. So it looked like a wire work trough with giant chartreuse ears.



Enter the morning glories from seed in the gravel of the driveway. The vined themselves up and over that planter and we came home from vacation we were treated to this lovely mound of foliage:


I don't think I'll ever have to buy seed for GrandPa Otts' again. I like morning glories, but they are frustrating plants to grow. They never grow well where you plant them, only seeming to do well from escaped seed. And they never get started until at least the middle of August here in the mid-Atlantic.
And here is a shot of orange just because. I went to Cabela's this week (it was on the way home from a jobsite) and bought a whole bunch of orange things seeing as how it is almost orange season here in PA. Ha. I got a fuzzy fleece hat and a pair of those mitten where the ends fold back and there are fingerless gloves underneath, and a long sleeve t-shirt, and a fleece jacket. There was a really cool hooded fleece winter coat that was this nubby fleece that sort of reminded you of an orange Cookie Monster and I loved it. But it was really expensive for a fleece coat and I just couldn't justify it. And it was very very orange. Almost as orange as this Tithonia here.
And something else I am realllyyyyyy excited about: In 1992 or 1993, my ex-boyfriend and I had a subscription to Outside Magazine and in it, we read an article by John Krakauer about a hiker named Chris McCandless who, after forsaking all matieral things and turning his back on society, crossed the country, headed into Alaska and atempted to live on his own. He ended up starving to death, but his story was still really inspiring. Krakauer turned the article into a book called Into the Wild in 1995, which I have read many times, and gave to my husband when we first started dating. Now it is a movie, directed by Sean Penn and it opens Oct. 5. Here is sort of a trailer. I cannot wait to see this movie. And the soundtrack is awesome as well. Entirely done by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. I love the entire thing. So go read the book! Listen to the music! You'll love it.

11 Comments:

Blogger El said...

Yuck I hate morning glories...in my gardens! (Other people's gardens is okay.) Once you have them, though, you will never get rid of them.

Deer season starts here too but somehow my little corner of Michigan isn't overrun with Day-Glo. I think it has something to do with all these 2nd homes (nobody wants the shooting to start). That said, deers are just a plain four-footed nuisance animal. Pretty, but once you have them...

You seem to have come upon a theme here.

I will make sure I send you some of my other orange flowered seed.

3:50 PM  
Blogger kris said...

Our paper just did a story on "Into the Wild" - it's produced by a guy here in Minneapolis (Pohlad - I forget his first name right now) Anyway, it's won awards at festivals and sounds good. I'm going to read the book before seeing the movie - always better that way!! But sounds like they did a nice adaptation for it.

Your planter with the potato vine and morning glories is awesome!! Morning glories always take all summer here too - but then they're all over. That's a cool-looking combo.

So, you're still into the orange?? lol I like the flower - very pretty.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That tithonia is gorgeous (and fun to say) but now you have me craving a fuzzy orange hat. (This is going to sound weird, but I just recently became able to carry off wearing a hat properly.)

I haven't heard the rest of the soundtrack yet (strange for a total Pearl Jam junkie) but "Hard Sun" is pretty cool. And had I not read the ID, I never would have guessed that's Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney on backup vocals. (Okay, getting off my music dork soapbox now, lol.)

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Robbyn said...

Just saw the preview for Into the Wild last night and can't wait for it to come out!

12:56 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

First, thank you for reminding me that I planted a sweet potato! I shall have to go find it...it disappeared under the squash vines sometime last month!

Second, I planted a Grandpa Ott plant that I brought down in Adams Co. about 8 years ago. I have never planted another, and have beautiful MG ever year. I love them...(except they grow on the fence, and look terrible when they die back--so I wind up picking them off...high maintence.)

off to check out the link....

7:11 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Last year, a friend was visiting, and left behind her copy of Into the Wild. I was thrilled to hear it became a movie. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to get up here. :)

I keep thinking I need to knit myself a better blaze orange hat than the cheap-o one I bought at the Army/Navy. It's best to be safe, especially around here, where the local grocery store hangs out the "Welcome Hunters!" banner each fall. Yikes.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue

8:03 AM  
Blogger Rusty in Miami said...

I read the book twice it was captivating and I am planning on reading again before going to see the movie. Regarding Morning Glory I agree with EL they great in other people’s garden but my is too small for it

9:22 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

We are definitely overrun with Dayglo come deer season. Hunting is big in Central PA. The first day of deer season (the Monday after Thanksgiving) was an excused absence at my high school. Deer are a pain and I'm glad we don't have many around us. The farmers take care of them pretty quick. When the corn comes down we usually see 5 or so running around looking for cover but then they are gone pretty soon.

Kim, I too have gotten to an age where I really like wearing hats. I think as you get older you lose the hangups of what other people will think or that your hair will get messed up. I wish I had more opportunities to wear them. But I am totally looking forward to the first time I can wear my new fuzzy orange hat!

Kris, yeah, still totally into the orange thing. I wish I knew why. What does that say about my personality? I went to Kmart yesterday for cat food and contact lens solution, but just inside the door they had a clearance clothes section with an orange tank top hanging front and center. I immediately veered off track and went straight for it. It was only $1, but I totally didn't need it and only bought it because it was orange.

Liz, do they make really, really orange yarn? Dude, I am totally finding some and crocheting myself some more orange hats. Maybe a poncho? Legwarmers? ha.

And hello to Robbyn, Sue, and Rusty!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wanted to let everyone know that I am the one that made the hats for the INTO THE WILD movie. I can make you a hat anytime. I found this thread by searching for people talking about the movie, and I got nervous when I saw the words 'hat' with 'cheap-o' HAHAH thanks! Hope you enjoy looking at my website www.HippieCrap.com

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home