Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Am I the only one?

This is a great article by Anna Quindlen from Newsweek. And no, I guess I'm not the only one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287026/site/newsweek/

But sometimes it sure as hell feels like it. Okay, I admit, I scrutinize the ripple effect of most every action I make a little too much. But do most people not do it at all? Every day I drive home in my little 96 Honda Civic doing the speed limit. I can afford a bigger, newer car. But my car works, gets great gas mileage, and I have no car payment. Why would I buy a new one? As traffic stacks up behind me and one after another SUV going 80 whip around me, I wonder. What is going on in the head of someone that drives an SUV? A gas guzzling vehicle speeding yet. When you drive above 55 mph, your fuel efficiency decreases by as much as 20%. That's why, during the early 70s a 55 mph speed limit was enacted. Not for safety, but to save fuel. Am I the only that knows this or am I the only person that cares? I particularly love Hummer drivers. There is no other person on the face of this earth as gluttonous as a Hummer driver.

2 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Interesting article. We seem to have lost our way. I also find SUVs really annoying!

10:31 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I can understand why people bought them before. A little ridiculous, but why in God's name would anyone buy one now? But they do.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home