Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Bulb alert

So it happened this morning. Out with the dogs on an unusually mild January morning, scanning the ground in beds and under trees for a sign, any sign that spring was right around the corner.


My little brown fuzzy buddy led me to it. Actually he urinated on it, but I never would have seen it otherwise. There, along the side of the garage, were an entire row of tips of fall crocus (Colchicum) leaves. I know, I said fall. You see the fall crocus sends up leaves in the spring which die back mid-summer. It then sends up large, purple, leafless blooms in September. There they were though, approx. two inches above the ground. My heart skipped and I laughed out loud and I've felt really good the whole day. Spring is just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home