Tuesday, May 30, 2006

H3

Hazy, hot, and humid.



Okay, so jumping from temps in the 60s where I am wearing light sweaters to freaking 95 degrees in the shade is totally not fun. Memorial day and today have been ungodly hot. I am a fan of heat. Love it, yearn for it in the winter months, despise air conditioning...we don't even have air conditioning in our home, that's how much we love heat....but this way too much....way too fast. You've got to acclimate you know? Go slowly into the 90s. Not jump from questioning whether you need a light jacket in the morning to stripping off all unessential garments and lying limp in a chair in the yard. seriously.

Today I went to Mifflintown to do a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment on a property. They guy that owned the property casually metioned that he was way busy this time of year, what with fawning and all. Turns out he owns a deer farm and offered to show me the deer. At first I was thinking maybe this was something I didn't want to see. Sad and all. And while I do think wild animals are best left in the wild, these were some pampered deer. And the fawns were like little dogs. They ran up to you and wanted to be petted. The guy said that the one was living in the house up until the weekend. Sleeping on the couch and going 'potty' on a leash at night. Awww...I want one. Actually I don't. He said that the tame does (he keeps them for four years prior to being 'processed') are really annoying because they follow you all around the farm and try to lick you. So compared to cows or pigs and especially chickens...these deer have it pretty good.


















Here is one of the pens for the bucks, which are not made tame. It was several acres in size and they had plenty of food and water. One of the interesting things is that the guy said four or five of his does have had triplets, one even having quadruplets, which deer only do when they feel comfortable that resources won't be scarce. So they are well taken care of. Ideally, they should be wild. But venison is big money and this guy was doing a pretty good job from what I saw. Plus, he really loves the deer, you could tell.






4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

how cute! wouldn't it be so hard to slaughter them after caring for them like that?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow! I have seen a deer farm on a small rural highway south of here and have always wondered what the deal was. I hope it's run like the one you visited.

Those fawns are incredibly cute.

11:06 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

The guy that runs the farm doesn't do any of the processing. He just sells them to a processing facility after about 4 years. It would be hard though because they are so adorable. And compared to cows, I think these guys have it pretty good.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are the cutest plant eaters I ever saw! I could never slaughter the deer after knowing their tameness in this intimate way. There is bow hunting on the island we live on & although I am not big on hunting, I can accept this over deer farming.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home