Monday, May 15, 2006

Landis Valley Museum

Saturday I went to Landis Valley Museum which is sort of like a restored Pennsylvania Dutch (German) farm and village. They have a native plant sale every spring and my friend and I go and I spend a ton of money on plants. Seriously, I think I have a problem. I spend way too much money on plants. I never go to the mall anymore, but I will drive very far to go to a good nursery or plant sale and buy things I convince myself I need. So I bought 2 Reisentraube tomatoes, a Howard German tomato, a blonde kerchen (? I think it's blonde headed in German) tomato, a mortgage lifter tomato, a Hartman yellow gooseberry tomato, an heirloom french tomato called Marmande, 4 hollyhocks, a small, chartreuse hosta because I have a crippling hosta habit, 2 love-lies-bleeding, a basil that I can't remember the name of, to add to the 4 basils I bought a week ago, to add to the 28 basil seedlings that are still growing in a seed tray....oy. Continuing......a blackberry lily, two coleus....one I think is 'Inky fingers' and the other is lime something or other, that look absolutely cute all potted up on the front porch. I just need some geraniums....... I have way too many tomatoes.....the ones I grew from seed I scorched about a week ago, putting them out in the sun unprotected, but I still should be able to salvage about, oh I don't know....60? So maybe I won't have my seedling sale as planned, I'll just give them away to friends and such. But I really didn't need anymore tomatoes....I don't even really like tomatoes that much.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the museum....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This problem you have, I have the same problem. I like reading your plant list. The tomatoes sound very interesting! I had a blackberry lily--nice plant. Coleus! I'll look forward to your reports on all these plants as the season wears on. May you have a good growing season!

2:31 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Thanks Judith. Luckily my plant habit dies down a little as we get further into the summer. And then picks up again when it's time for mums and pansies again and perennial end-of season- sales. I hope you have a great growing season too with all your new planting areas.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous landscaping trees said...

Anyone who wants to grow healthy plants should know that location is one of the most important factors that governs successful growth of plants. Most people buy a plant, go out into the garden, dig a hole somewhere, and place the plant in the soil: and when the plant fails to grow, they blame the nursery or soil. Site selection is vital if you want your plants to grow and thrive. Choosing the best site can save a lot of frustration and headaches.
native plants tree nursery

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home