Monday, April 24, 2006

The best Sunday in recent memory

I'm not hard to please and probably a totally cheap date. I had a totally satisfying Sunday. I weeded. Now we've had a few inches of rain over the last two days....it rained all day saturday, steadily, and that makes for good weeding. There is something addictive about pulling dandelions and getting the whole foot-long tap root to come up with it. I pulled two wheelbarrow loads. And with these dandelions and roots came lots of worms. So I'd gather a handful and make my way over to the happy chickens and watch them get simply beside themselves with happiness. I found they also like....no love...slugs. They were free-rangin it for the first time yesterday. I was a little nervous but they didn't go far. Mostly they were on me. I must have been a sight yesterday, on my hands and knees feverishly yanking dandelions....with Claire on my head. Yes, it seems Claire likes heights and quickly figured a way to flutter up my arm or back to perch on my head. At one point I laid back in the grass and all six chickens were happily perched on my legs preening themselves. This is so fun. I picked my first asaparagus yesterday, although not much made it's way into the house. It's just so very good and reasonably clean right from the ground. Yum.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you clicker train Claire so she does her tricks with you ready for them. I'd love to clicker train a chicken. I am serious--I use the clicker w/my dogs and cats and attended ClickerExpo last month where I learned horses, chickens, fish, people, you name it are 'trained' in this way. I have the same high you have after the weekend & rain--you have expressed it perfectly! (check out: http://www.hsnp.com/behavior/page10.html and also go to who I have been learning w/ http://www.clickertraining.com/home/) I envy you have chickens--I'd love to click w/them!

8:37 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I've heard of dogs and horses being clicker trained....but chickens and FISH? Huh...I will check that out. It would be fun to 'train' a chicken. Then I could quit my job and tour the country with my trick chickens. ha!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I can't even imagine what your neighbors must be thinking... ;)

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home