Monday, April 17, 2006

Bits and pieces from the last few days

  • Fed the chickens their first worm yesterday. At first they didn't know what to do with it, then one of the Plymouth Barred Rocks decided to take the plunge and grab it. The other chickens chased him round and round while he desperately tried to gobble it down. They are very fun to watch.
  • Husband bought oil-based paint for trim in dining room in a high-gloss finish. Why? It had to be oil-based to go over the century of old oil based paint present....but why high-gloss? Why?
  • Planted bunches of stuff in the garden yesterday. Strawberries (Sparkle), lettuce (4 kinds), Swiss chard, spinach, scallions, and cippolini onions. I am really late though. Most of this stuff should have gone in a few weeks ago. My arms and back hurt today from hauling compost.
  • My tomato and pepper seedlings need to be transplanted into pots soon. They are all about 3 or 4 inches high. The Mignonette got damping off disease, so must start over. They were the only thing planted in Jiffy peat pots. Everything else was in sphagnum moss in trays. Will never buy Jiffy pots again.
  • My kitty died on saturday. She was 14 and was sick for the last two weeks. Cancer. And being 14, I couldn't rationalize treatment. We buried her in the yard on Saturday afternoon. I still hear her meow and still feel her paws kneading my pillow when I go to sleep at night. 14 years is a long time. Roy is now a very lonely boy cat. It was the first time I've seen my husband cry for a long period of time. Even longer than me. Somehow, he was transformed into a cat person as I have been hopelessly changed into a dog person. Not to say I don't still love cats.
  • Filled pots with Stock below the bedroom windows. I can't wait to be able to smell them.
  • Bought a perennial of the year "Firewitch" dianthus. I am not a huge fan of pinks, but I couldn't resist. We'll see how it does.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. We lost a dog after nearly 17 years. It hurts.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty, Meredith. 14 years is a long time, and it really does sting when they leave you. At least she had a long, good life because of you.

Sparkle strawberries are simply the best. The best. They may be later than other varieties, but it doesn't matter... no other strawberry can compare in flavor.

8:50 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, 14 years is a long time. I miss her. After we buried her, we both wondered how we will handle the death of one of the dogs. I simply cannot imagine. I'll have to take a week off work.

When you plant berries, do you pay attention to the 'pinch off the blooms the first year' rule? Or do you just let them flower and set fruit. I never pay attention to it, but then I have to plant them every year cause they don't make it over the winter.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely pinch off the first year blooms! They need to be putting their energy into roots for next years fruit. I did that, and was rewarded with 1 qt. of fruit per plant in the second summer. I also mulch well with straw over the winter.

7:43 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

So sorry about your cat.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

M: I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I lost a Siamese after TWENTY TWO years! She literally grew up with me. She was a Valentine's Day present when I was 7. The hurt ran deeper than I ever thought possible. It took me several months but I finally added felines back to the home. Three actually, sisters from the same litter. They're 12 now so the fear of loss is looming, I'm sorry to say.

I appreciate the berrybloom pinching tip. I wasn't aware of that advice and found out just in time. :)

My "flock" of chicks got a taste of their first worm today. Well, one did, the Barred Rock, Xena. The other two (Ginger and Ella) weren't quite as enthusiastic and decided to keep their meals vegetarian today.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home