Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Chickens are hard to photograph


So I picked up my chickens yesterday. I stopped at Tractor Supply on the way to Pickering Valley Feed Store (where the chicks were) and picked up a feeder and a waterer and food and a brooder lamp and bedding. I brought three different sized boxes because I didn't know how to transport them. I was super nervous. This is why I don't






have children....I felt completely overwhelmed and unprepared to get these 6 little balls of fuzz. I cannot imagine how freaked out I would be with an actual baby. Anyway, went to the feed store and told them I was there to pick up my chickens and the manager goes to look for a box to put them in. What does he pull out? A fried chicken take-out box. I'm serious. I'm like "uhhhh...that's a take out box with pictures of cooked chicken on the side....that's a little morbid, dontchya think?" He looked down and laughed and said "Yeah, I guess it is a little weird...plus it's too small for 6 chicks. I'll find you another box." I asked the guy a million questions that I probably already knew the answer too but felt unsure and then we headed home. It was about an hour back to my house so I was a little nervous about keeping them warm. If they get cold, they huddle together and smother one another and chicks can suffocate. Even though it was 60 degrees outside, I rode with the windows up and the heat on. Twice on the ride home, I didn't hear any peeping and panicked and pulled over to a convenience store to make sure they were all still alive. We get home and I scramble to get everything put together because I'm picturing them slowly smothering one another. Finally I get them in their box and we can't get the light right.....all the chicks huddled under the lamp...too cold....lower the lamp....chicks run for the corners.....raise the lamp.....too cold again...chicks again head for the middle and start piling on one another. Finally after way too many tries, they looked around and decided it was just right. Then they were happy, drinking lots, eating lots and something I wasn't prepared for. When they fall asleep, they look like they are dropping over dead. Falling face first into the bedding and spreading their little wings out (see photo below). They are super cute though. I figured out that they do like music. In the car on the way home they calmed down a little if I turned music on. So last night before I turned in, I sang to my fuzzy chicks....that song about the inchworm measuring the marigolds...I thought that might give them good little chicken dreams. They did the nodding heads and face first into the bedding right away and seemed well rested this morning. This is fun and I suspect that what little chicken I do eat will be shortly disappearing from my diet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I'd be a terrible mother... all hovering and smothery. My kids would hate me.

I had completely forgotten how sleeping chicks look dead. It's really the weirdest thing. They're adorable, though, and you're a saint to sing to them. Love them!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Chickens, yay! We got most of ours through the mail. :) Ours didn't do the play-dead while sleeping for very long. It's pretty funny though.

We didn't get any chicks this spring and I'm really missing them.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it is so sweet to read about your chicks! I can't wait for the next chapter. It is hysterical thinking of the image of them flopping over into the bedding. I find anything little & baby makes me nervous...responsibility gets spelled in big letters whenever I am taking care of a little being.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Awww, how sweet! I've got tears in my eyes from laughing about the face-first sleepy flop. That's so cute. Best of luck with the little fuzzballs.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.
white linen bed skirts queen

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home