Monday, March 27, 2006

Free association

Confidential to the disturbed individuals that google "monkey paw ashtray'.....go away. When I inquire as to the search words that led people to this site, the number one search phrase is "monkey paw ashtray". That's just wrong. And creepy. Based on this post about a Christmas house tour I once went on where a room was deocrated with a monkey motif and there was a real monkey paw ashtray, these weirdos are drawn here. The only acceptable reason to be googling those words is if you're a little goth kid and are thinking of naming your band Monkey Paw Ashtray.

There are pregnant animals running all over my yard. And formerly pregnant ones. I'm going to be busy later in the spring as I invariably have to scoop up, catch, replace, and remove various baby squirrels, rabbits, and birds. The fattest rabbit I've ever seen is living under the shed. I don't want to hazard a guess as to how many little rabbit kits she is carrying around. Or where she will leave them. Of course we'll figure that out on the first day that my husband mows and they scatter in every direction about 6 inches ahead of the riding mower. And the formerly rotund squirrel that could barely hoist it's butt up to the feeder is now suspiciously svelte, indicating a large litter of little squirrels deposited in one of our trees. I look forward to a month from now when an entire squirrel family will run wild up and down the lattice work and up and down the silver maples out front, causing my two 70 pound dogs to tap dance madly across my hardwood floors and leave nose prints on my windows and doors (the brown one thinks he just might catch them if he jams his nose a little harder against the glass) as they run from one end of the house to the other to 'get those squirrels'.

And apparently we have a shortage of affordable bird housing in the yard. I hung up those two cute little nesting baskets, to deter the purple finch from building in the wreath. In a little over twelve hours both baskets had tenants, furiously jamming twigs and dryer lint into their newfound accomodations. And the purple finch is still in the wreath. I guess we need more bird houses or something.

The chickens arrive tomorrow. I am so totally scared. I really hope I don't end up killing them. I'm probably being paranoid for no good reason, but I just feel like I don't know enough. I will keep you updated.

I cleaned on Sunday. Everything was getting pretty gritty what with the work we're doing on the house. Large balls of dog hair were starting to collect in the crevices of the stairs and under furniture. Is there anything better than starting off on Monday with a totally clean house? Squeaky clean floors under foot and a pristine bathroom that looks unused? All laundry done? Well, there probably are better things, but that's pretty darn good.

And super thanks to Susie Sunshine for making me famous over the weekend. Well, not exactly famous, but I got an all time high daily readership of 71. Way exciting. She recommended this blog and called it "thinky and pretty and gardeny all at once." That is such a complement. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Your blog IS thinky and pretty and gardeny all at once. Which is why I love to visit. :)

You're lucky you have the finches nesting. We have swallows that tend to be kind of mean and territorial. I swear they tried to scalp me one year.

Hey, I just found out that the wine guy at our co-op went to West Chester. I never would have guessed... he's all artsy and stuff.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Not that being artsty precludes one from having gone to WCU, but I was surprised.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home