Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Meet Claire




Okay, a little blurry...but this is Claire. She is the only chicken I've named so far. Truthfully, I can't tell most of them apart. Claire is the lightest yellow and still has a really fuzzy head. She is also the one that comes running as soon as she sees me and hops into my hand. If I am wearing something longsleeved, Claire runs up my arm and sits on my shoulder where she proceeds to pull on loose hair strands and peck the sides of my mouth and ears. The bigger Claire gets, the more this is starting to hurt. She is pecking pretty hard now.
Right here I am sure she is looking at hair strands just waiting to hop back on my shoulder. I probably shouldn't encourage this behavior. Buff Orpingtons can weigh up to 10 pounds when fully grown. Having a 10 pound chicken flying up on your shoulder and pecking the sides of your face will quickly convert me to a shut-in.









And here are some more photos of the rapid progression of Spring in the yard. I feel like I'm missing it half the time.

Do tulips multiply? I didn't think they did. I swear there were not this many red tulips in this bed last year.










My little "Jane" Magnolia that I planted last year. She had 8 blooms on her this year. And I didn't realize that Magnolias were fragrant. I can't wait til she grows up.










I seem to have the perfect environment for violets. They grow everywhere and I pull literally hundreds out of my beds and in the garden every year, yet come spring new ones pop up everywhere. They are slowly taking over parts of the lawn. I have white violets, purple violets and variegated ones. While lovely, they are becoming a bit of a nuisance, bordering on invasive. If left unchecked in one of my perennial beds, they would choke things out in one season. Who knew violets had a dark side?

6 Comments:

Blogger Rurality said...

Aww! But be careful... they WILL peck your eyes! :o

Your flowers are beautiful. My tulips (at our old house) always dwindled instead of multiplying.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, Claire! Your garden looks great. I like your 'Jane' Magnolia--I am about to replace a fading magnolia, maybe I'll look for 'Jane' in the nursery. Unfortunately, wherever I garden the violets follow me. I find them to be a nuisance. In spring I pull so many up or they would take over. I never had luck with tulips multiplying, glad to see someone has luck with them.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same thing here with the violets. They can get overwhelming. And the only tulips I've ever had multiply have been the species kind.
Claire is a sweet girl, just don't let her get too comfortable. ;)

7:45 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

That little chicken is so cute. I'd be too scared to have her pecking at me. :) Love all the flowers. Our tulips haven't come up yet. Edwin will be so jealous of your magnolia. He desperately wants one. Just went for a walk through central park and all the cherry trees and apple trees are in full bloom. looks so beautiful.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

Just found your site from following links. I had to comment once I saw your chicks! I have Buff, Barred Rock and Black Sex Link. The girls are the first chicks I've had and I'm simply mesmerized! I hate to take my eyes off of them... I'm eager to see what they'll do next!

Question... what are you using for their bedding? Pine shavings?

8:20 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

These are my first too and I just love them. It's been really fun so far. I have the chicks in a large box with several layers of newspaper and about three inches of pine shavings on top of that.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home