Monday, May 01, 2006

The weekend

It isn't really long enough.....not to get all the things done I wanted to anyway. I did get a lot planted. Three kinds of beans, the rest of the peas (late), the beets (also late), dill, two kinds of onions (late, again), carrots, two dozen gladiolus bulbs and three dozen peacock orchids. Played with the chickens a lot, saw my new neice that was born late last week. The other two neices that were less than thrilled at the prospect of a new baby quickly were won over and are now like two little broody hens with her. I briefly experienced baby envy but I think I got over it on Sunday when I heard a far away neighbors child scream for 30 minutes non-stop. No thanks.

The eat local challenge started today and I'm not off to a great start. I did make cheese over the weekend, well, an herbed (my own chives!) cheese spread made from drained yogurt (store bought) which I ate on a Thomas' whole wheat pita bread this morning. And for lunch I'm eating leftover Salmon and wild rice from Saturday (definitely not local). I will eat my own asparagus for dinner and probably some local chicken from the freezer, so at least one meal will be local. Tomorrow I will go to the Roots Farmers Market (pronounced Rutz) where I should be able to buy a lot of stuff, particularly a lot of staples....and things I don't need....like potato chips, baked goods....did I mention I live 10 miles from Hershey, PA? So technically a chocolate bar for a meal would be considered local. The farm where I buy eggs and milk has their own green-house tomatoes starting this weekend, so we'll see how good those are. Did I mention Tasty-Kake is based in Philadelphia, which is about 90 miles from here, so it counts. And M&M Mars has a factory not even 5 miles from me, so really that could be local too. Actually I don't like sweet things that much. It is the Utz potato chips in York and Martins Potato Rolls in York and Herrs Snack Foods in Nottingham that really would be my preference. But then that really isn't the spirit of eating local right? Anyway, I will keep you posted as to how well or how abysmally I'm doing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I briefly experienced baby envy while visiting friends in NJ, but it only lasted until he puked on his mom. Visiting friends with babies is good enough for me. :)

You're doing great with the eat local challenge so far! It doesn't have to be local at every meal, unless that's what you want. I'll look forward to see what you get at your farmers market. I love Utz potato chips~

5:08 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, I love them too. I just don't need them. Part of this cahllenge for me is to also eat healthier and purchase foods that have little or no packaging, etc. I'll keep you posted on the farmers market visit.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home