Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Almost May?





How is that possible?




My chickens still aren't on their own yet. Still in their comfy giant box in the garage. I tried. I really did. One whole day in the chicken house. And then at night they simply didn't know what to do and peeped sad and loud and long and I took them all back to the garage. I would be a terrible mother. I can't help but spoil.





The foofies know this and exploit my weakness shamelessly.

















My flowers are speeding right along. The tulips are now over, daffodils are long gone. I had iris blooming yesterday. Yikes. Bleeding heart is probably my favorite plant. I wish it lasted all year. But then maybe I wouldn't like it so much.




3 Comments:

Blogger Jane O' said...

I never heard about vegetables having meanings but maybe you could get the list started. Sounds like a nice project :) Seriously, I'm sure you have plenty to do already. I know I do.

7:54 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Oh that cute doggie face! Spoiling is absolutely required!

Have you read Animal Vegetable Miracle? She talks about a tradition of giving vegetable gifts to neighbors and for hostess gifts. No meaning necessarily (though I love that idea...I'm sure some folklore is involved with some), but they were welcome gifts.

I planted my first asparagus this year. I am so excited, as this gardening thing is new to me. I bought crowns from Seed of Change as they are supposedly the only organic source. I got more than 30 plants, so it's going to be a whole lot of fun. They are supposed to be able to be harvested next year, as they are already a year old at purchase. I've been researching organizations like Seed Savers--it's all so interesting.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

god, that's funny. I recently gave a man flowers. He obviously scared and many days later relieved when they had blasted their petals and I dumped them in his recycling bin. But secretly, I think he liked them.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home