Friday, February 23, 2007

Rohrer's Seeds

So yesterday I had a really early day. I had to be in Dover, Delaware early in the morning for a meeting, meaning I would be coming home in the early afternoon. Right past Rohrer's Seeds. During Business hours. Yay.








I purchased a bunch of seeds from my hardware store earlier but I still had a lot to buy. I've only been in Rohrer's once before, briefly. I knew that had tons of tons of seeds packets, but I didn't look closely at them because at the time I was in the market for heirloom tomato plants (having scorched all the ones I started from seed last winter).
So there I am yesterday, cash in hand, wanting to buy seeds. Not only do they have their own brand of seed, but they also carry varieties of Seeds of Change, Seed Saver's Exchange, Johnny's, Botanical Interest, Landis Valley Heirloom Seed Project, and a few other ones that I was not familiar with. I was like a kid in a candy store! So many many seeds. But I have a new favorite. Franchi Seeds from Italy. Oh.My.God. First of all, the seed packets are roughly 4 by 6 inches in size with lovely pictures on them. Instructions are printed in like 6 different languages with a zonal map of southern Europe on it. And they had some really cool varieties. But they were $2.99 a pack, so I held back. I only got four things.




Rapini (Broccoli Raab). I was going to buy the Rohrer's variety, but I figured Rapini from Italy would probably be a little tastier. Yum. Their website has about 10 different kinds.







Ugly but Good melons. That is the translation. Ugly but Good. How cute are these?





Genovese Zucchini. The Basil is great, so the zucchini must be as well, correct? Well, maybe not. But aren't they pretty?







Christmas Peppers or Pimiento. So cute. I'm such a sucker for little peppers. I'll have to start these soon. I was hoping for some really cool eggplant varieties from this company, but they didn't have any. They had two really wild radish varieties that I was not brave enough to try but looked really interesting.



A giant black winter radish.
Christmas Candle Radish.
I won't tell you how much I spent in total. But I will tell you that I got a 5 pound bag of Yukon Gold Seed Potatoes for.........$2.75!!!!!!!
Perhaps next week I'll list everything that I bought.

7 Comments:

Blogger wurwolf said...

I love the seed packets. They look like the Italian movie posters. You know what I mean? Sort of the same as ours, only bigger, brighter, bolder and probably a few other "b" words I can't think of right now. My goodness, that radish looks like a coconut. I'm also interested to see how the melon turns out.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Oh my! I want to go there, it looks like heaven. Seeds, seeds, as far as the eye can see!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

What fun you had! Don't think there is anywhere around here with a selection like that! I'll be looking forward to hearing how they turn out...enjoy your seeds!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would so get into trouble at that place! Please don't hesitate to post your full list--you know you're not going to be chastised by your fellow bloggers. If anything, we're all a bunch of seed-buying enablers. ;)

Plus I like to buy seed vicariously... and I swear I'm done for this winter/spring. I swear. lol.

11:48 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

What a great place to go and spend some time (and $$) on a February day! You can always find room to plant just a little more....

7:32 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

mmm. let me know how the broccoli rab is!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...my...gosh. That would be a very dangerous store for me. I don't think I've seen that many seed packages in one place my whole life!!
Let me know how the Italian seeds do for you.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home