Thursday, June 28, 2007

Getting to know me


Ali at henbogle tagged me for
the seven things meme. So after much thought and deliberation, here are seven positively fascinating things about me. I'm kidding.

1. I watched the Library of Congress tribute to Paul Simon last night. I like Paul Simon a lot and have for a long time. When I was in 5th grade, our art teacher let my best friend and I listen to our Simon and Garfunkel records in her supply closet instead of going out to recess. I also had a pair of parakeets as a kid named Simon and Garfunkel. Suffice to say, there weren't many kids in my school that were in to Simon and Garfunkel, making me pretty much a dork.

2. I was artsy in high school and was convinced that I would live in the big city and work in advertising. After high school, I went to F.I.T. in New York City and majored in advertising design. I hated it. And I didn't realize how much I missed nature when living in the city. I left to eventually major in Biology at a state school outside of Philadelphia. Now I admire toads and stick my hands in the nether regions of chickens. Funny. I don't draw or paint much anymore and I should. The coneflower above and the chickadee are little doodles I have lying around my desk at work. Another funny thing was that there were a suprising number of women in by biology classes that had started out their schooling as art majors.


3. I have an extremely dysfunctional family and haven't spoken to any of them in over three years (mother, stepfather, sister, and brother). I haven't heard from my real father since I was 18. I had to make a deicision to remove myself from their dynamic to save my sanity. I am a much calmer person because of it. Now I just read about them in the paper.
4. Some people have a need to be around people all the time. That is not me. Lately, my favorite day of the week is Sunday. My husband works every Sunday and I get to spend the entire day reading and gardening and cooking and just general housework without ever having to open my mouth once to talk to anybody. Well, except for the dogs, cat, and chickens. I don't go anywhere except to take the dogs for a ride to get the paper in the morning and the day stretches out before me and seems to last a really long time.
5. I don't have air conditioning in my home. The older I get, the weirder this is to people apparently. I don't like air conditioning and can't see spending the money to have central air put into our house. We have a good breeze most of the time and there are only a few days a summer where it gets a little unbearable. Good thing I don't mind sweating. I don't have it in my car either. And on hot days when I am going into and out of air conditioned spaces over and over I get really tired.
6. I worry that I will regret not having children.
7. I am seriously addicted to this recipe for New York Takeout Style Cold Sesame Noodles. Yummy. Oh, and I can't stand Rachel Ray.

21 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Good Lord, woman. You sound like my long-lost twin. Dorky music tastes (a 25-year old infatuated with Frank Sinatra, anyone?), love of drawing, love of nature (I'm regretting not going to school for biology now), not speaking to immediate family members for years (only recently have we reconciled), love of being alone and cold sesame noodles, dislike Rachel Ray. Too funny. I kept reading this entry and saying, "Hey, me too!" I knew there was a reason I love reading your blog. :o)

Your "doodles" are beautiful. I love pencil sketches -- it would be neat to frame them.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

With me, it was Barry Manilow.

Great post. And beautiful drawings.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Thanks for playing along, and for the recipe link. I LOVE sesame noodles, and haven't had any good noodles since my college days when I would visit my brother (the only one I'm speaking to, but that's another story) and he would take me to Chicago's Chinatown where we'd have dinner at his law school roommate's family's restaurant.

WOW, my first brush with Chinese food and it was incredible. And then I returned to Maine. Oops! Time to go grocery shopping in Portland and load up on ethnic ingredients....

Ali

10:54 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

ps the drawings are great. That is a gift I'd trade my handywoman skills for anyday!

10:55 PM  
Blogger kris said...

I enjoyed your list (I'm tagged for one too - and really struggling to come up with 7 things - lol!!). Like the drawings - I've always wanted to have some artistic skills.

11:23 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I watched that special also. I used to love Simon and Garfunkel, but Paul on his own never swayed me. That special, however, was amazing. I too worry about not having children, though mine was poor choices with men versus a decision not to have any (or get married for that matter). I was initially a biology major but refused to dissect anything, so switched to different subjects then never graduated. Now I gravitate to art. Your drawings are awesome. Definitely try to incorporate art into your life more. I don't have air conditioning either. Just too expensive, and it gives me a headache. I love this blog.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Your drawings are beautiful - you should do more!!

7:53 AM  
Blogger El said...

Okay, the only thing I can say about items #3 and 6 is that family nuttiness CAN stop with you. It's not something you have to pass on. (This was a big hurdle for me when I was debating parenthood, frankly.)

And drawing? Check. I think we all find different outlets at different times of our lives. Me, now, well, it's construction and gardening that I get obsessive about.

Okay, and in 3rd grade, I got my first album ever for my birthday: Queen's Sheer Heart Attack. I don't know whether I was cool or very gay-aware, even to this day.

9:31 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Wow. Queen in third grade. You were way cooler than I. I do remember rockin' out to "we are the champions" in fifth grade because it was the opening theme to our elementary school morning announcements. Ha. I did have one Queen album but I don't remember which one it was anymore.

And carrying on the craziness is one of the reasons I don't have kids. I don't think I'd be a wackjob mom, but maybe the dysfunction genes don't kick in until you reproduce. Something I think about a lot.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my little sketches. It is true that you find different outlets for creativity at different times. I express myself in plants now I guess, but I really should make time to sit down and sketch them every now and then.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

I think one of my biggest regrets in life is that I have passed on my craziness to my daughter that my father has passed on to me. I wouldn't have an official word for it but I believe it's a sort of mental deficiency. I regret not taking the time to really consider that before I had my children. My other daughter is as normal as they come, but the things I hate about my father and myself have unfortunately been passed down to one of my kids. So I have to congratulate those of you who have remained childless for your clear-thinking.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Mikaela said...

I thought I was the only person left without an air conditioner in her home. But you win: none in your car, either?! Wow!

PS - I found you via OLS :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Your answers are pretty fascinating, Meresy, and give another dimension to what you write.

I watched the Gershwin award special too, loving every minute.

Please keep drawing and let your blog readers see them - they're wonderful~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

5:15 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Hi there -- I found you via Suse at Pea Soup. Glad to visit and I will be back!

I can't stand Rachel Ray either. And I think your drawings are so lovely.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the drawings, please use more of them on your blog.

I just can't see you in that school! You made the right choices.

Guess what my name was before I got married? Ray, but I am not related to Miss Perky!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I love your little sketches... I'm surprised you haven't shared them before. (how I would love see those on some little notecards.)

I read something recently about a study of childless elderly in nursing homes. When asked if they regretted not having children, none of them did. There are bigger things in life to regret, I think.

I've never had a/c either.

2:13 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Your sketches are really nice, and add such a special personal touch to your post! I hope you do more of them!

and um, number 6...don't worry...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

You have such good taste in music! :)

Sorry about #3.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Your pencil sketches are wonderful. Thanks for posting them. I love reading your blog.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us into your world more. I loved reading about your life and think you're a gifted artist...wish I could "doodle" that well. =)
As far as your family situation...I'm seriously considering doing the same thing...in some ways I know it would make life so much easier on me. You're a couragous woman for doing it. I applaud you.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: and on #6...uhhhh...I wouldn't worry 'bout it too much. As the mom of a 24 year old (who's acting more like a teenager) I can tell you there are days when I wonder why I gave birth.
Don't get me wrong...I love her with all my heart...I just don't like her very much right now.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Meresy_g, I love those sketches! Very charming... you should draw and paint more.

Chiming in on disliking Rachel Ray and loving Simon & Garfunkel... but my "guilty pleasure" oldies act is Neil Diamond. My brother and I have a standing date (which means it probably won't ever happen, lol) to sing "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" the next time we find a place to karaoke.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home