Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Thanksgiving

So I'm having Thanksgiving again. I don't know why I do this to myself. Well, yes I do. If I didn't do it, it either wouldn't get done or it would be done badly, and there really is no point in celebrating Thanksgiving if you do it badly. My husband's entire family will be attending. Thats only 8 people, so it's not like I'm cooking for an army, but I somewhat suspect that nobody realizes how much work it is. There really is a lot of planning involved and I make some things a day ahead, and prepare some things just short of cooking the night before and even outline what needs to be cooked in what order the day of. I have a plan. Last year I made a 24 pound Turkey, scratch stuffing, real mashed potatoes, a sweet potato casserole, baked corn, marinated broccoli, homemade cranberry sauce, rolls, a pumpkin cheesecake with ginger snap crust, and an apple-cranberry pie. Some people were supposed to bring things, but they decided at the last minute not too, and didn't tell me, so I had to wing it. And the kicker was that at the end of the meal, everyone rushed to their cars, returned wielding grocery bags stuffed with Tupperware, and proceeded to help themselves to almost all of the leftovers, declaring it the best Thanksgiving they ever had. Husband and I, and the two nieces barely had enough left over for a light lunch the next day. So what do I do? Volunteer for it again this year. This time I told husband, that since it is his family, he must referee the left overs, as they will not be walking out the door at the end of the day. I do not get up a 5am to cook a monster turkey only to be picking at back meat the next day to assemble some kind of meal. Not again. Not this year.

5 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

I'm doing my first thanksgiving at my house this year. supposedly people are bringing dishes, but i'm doing the turkey. i already made a pumpkin soup that's in the freezer. i hope it's still good by the time thanksgiving rolls around.

3:14 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Wow. Impressive. You are totally ahead of the game. It is so satisfying even though it is so much work. Pumpkin soup would be over this crowd's head. But I could make it for myself. I need to use up the pumpkins that I grew. I plan on making pumpkin butter one of these days. What else can I do with pumpkin?

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am getting very hungry reading about all this food & hope I get invited to dinner! 'Tis the season w/all the holidays to deal with relatives, etc....no cooking for me this Thanksgiving--my brother has again invited us to him & then we all go for dinner at the wonderful Dreamaway Lodge. Only thing is, this year I will cook my own turkey at home before I go--I need turkey to come home to (& leftovers)!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

You are so incredibly brave. Last year's menu sounded incredible, but there is no way I would do all that. It's not that I'm lazy (au contrare), I just don't spoil others with my cooking as much as I spoil us. ;)

6:55 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I'm not brave, I just like to cook and have people appreciate my cooking. And I guess I should look at the fact that they bring their own tupperware and help themselves as a really big compliment. I also see it as a challenge, an event. And even though it's stressful, the end result is worth it, especially when you time everything perfectly and it's all done at the same time. It's the Martha syndrome I suppose. And I don't get to cook like that very often. It's only the two of us and husband is a very picky eater....out of all of that food I mentioned he will only eat turkey and potatoes and a roll...nothing else. Which gets annoying. So when I have a houseful of non-picky eaters, I go a little overboard.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home