Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The black helicopters

I have a statcounter account, which allows me to see who visits my blog and how long they stay and what keywords they used to direct them to my blog. And probably all of you have this also, so this isn't news, but it's interesting for me to see who's reading. Once I had someone that worked at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia read my blog and of course I picture Martha herself paging through my daily musings. In actuality, it's probably a receptionist killing time on her lunch hour, acidentally coming across it after googling 'toilet' or something equally generic. So imagine my suprise when this morning I see a Washington D.C. visitor with a rather official looking IP address and guess which post they read. Yes, that's right, the Cunningham one. And I'm probably being totally paranoid, but with this administration you just never know. Anyway, it freaked me out a little. You think you're just typing away in relative anonymity and then your little entry is plucked from cyberspace and read by who exactly? and why? Strange. Anyway, if you don't have statcounter or some other way of tracking viewers, I'd get one. It's really interesting to see all those people that read but never comment. I was a little shocked by how many there were. Shocked and freaked out. Fodder for endless paranoid thoughts.

4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Interesting. The internet is such a weird thing.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Where did they link from?

Once I got a mention on Kitchen Gardeners Intl and I was pretty pleased with myself...

4:42 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

They didn't link from anywhere. It's like they just typed in my web address. Very few people do that, and for an IP address I've never seen before from a town I've never had someone visit from. Very strange.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not surprised--I know I am on some 'lists'. Spooky.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home