Monday, December 19, 2005

Busy, Busy, Busy

I'ts been so long. Sorry. Last week I was at a conference entitled "NEPA and the Transportation Decision Making Process". What a whole mess of fun that was. It was in Clearfield, PA, about three hours away from home. I wasn't enjoying being away. One positive was that I went to a restaurant that serves the largest hamburger in Pennsylvania. I didn't partake, not did anyone in our party. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. You win $250 bucks if you can finish in a few hours. I did have fried pickles for the first time. Just deep fried dill pickles, which I'm embarassed to say were fantastic. Strange but true.

I got to drive home on Thursday afternoon during the lovely snow/ice storm, so a trip that normally takes three hours took seven. I was by myself and was not having a good time. The route back is also know as seven mountains, lots of steep grades with runaway truck ramps. On the biggest of the hills, heading down, I peed myself a little. That's how scared I was. Occasionally I had to pry my hands from the wheel because I was griopping it so tight I was cutting off the circulation to my fingers. Fun.
During my ordeal of a drive, I made a repeated pledge that should I make it home, I will never complain about cooking or cleaning or anything domestic ever again. I just wanted to get home so badly. So over the weekend, the house got cleaned and I made two "comfort food" meals. On Friday I made Martha's macaroni and cheese and her meatloaf recipe. Martha's macaroni and cheese is awesome. Just cheesy, buttery goodness. And I'm not a lover of meat loaf, but her meatloaf trancends. I made tomato jam over the summer and slathered that all over the top prior to baking and that just put it over the top. I will be eating it for lunch for the next several days. Last night, I made pork and sauerkraut. Yummm. In the slow cooker, with apples and onions mixed in, letting the sauerkraut get all brown....served over mashed potatoes made with real sour cream and butter from the raw milk farmer down the road. Anyway, just counting down the days til Christmas. I feel ready this year, for the first time in a long time. I might even keep the cooking marathon going through the new year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

There is nothing worse than driving in an ice storm. But mac & cheese and meatloaf sound like the perfect reward for making it home alive. I was never much of a meatloaf lover until a couple of years ago. There's something just so comforting about it.

Love your song choices...great diversity. :)

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got home safe & sound. Macaroni & cheese! Great comfort food.

9:21 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

The meatloaf and mac&cheese sound awesome. Funny how some people turn to cooking to relax. I do the same thing.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home