Friday, February 10, 2006

random mutterings

Liz at Pocket Farm has a righteous political rant up today and it's nice to see how many supportive comments she has. Maybe there are more angry people out there than I thought. I vacillate between anger and just complete and utter disbelief. I wish I had a dime for each time I've heard someone say "George Bush can spy on me all he wants. I'm not doing anything wrong." I think the majority of our country needs an emergency history lesson, or maybe we can get Sylvia Brown or that creepy John Edwards guy to channel Wahington or Jefferson or Madison and televise it so that they can tell us from beyond the grave that our country is being destroyed by fake Christian war profiteers.

In other news, my latin scientific name is Packus rattus and I'm attempting to deal with my hoarding tendencies. I don't hoard really, but I keep things around that I'm not using simply because they are too nice to throw away. Freecycle is helping me dispose of my treasures without throwing them out. It's a nationwide program that has tons of local groups that post things they are getting rid of. Or you can post for things you are looking for. And no money changes hands. It's simply to keep things out of the landfill. Just last night, while we were moving things around in preparation for the contractor who is ripping the cracked plaster ceiling down at my house today, I came across a box of ummm....things to good to throw away. It is not JUNK! My husband, for the 20th time, asked me what I going to do with it. He picked up a perfectly good softball glove that I briefly (twice) used in my early teens. I can't throw it away, it's perfectly good. So this morning, there was a Freecycle request from an older man that has recently had shoulder sugery and has to throw a ball against a wall repeatedly for therapy....and guess what? HE NEEDS A SOFTBALL GLOVE!!!! It has a new home and I can give my stuff away with a clean conscience.

My Lancaster County Conservation District tree sale list came the other day. They sell native trees and shrubs to raise money every spring. I have gotten things from this sale twice before, mostly American Cranberry Bush and assorted pines and firs to plant as a wind block. I really don't need any more trees but I will probably buy a few more cranberries. They are a viburnum and are one of the few things that will grow under a black walnut, which secretes a toxic resin and poisons plants around it. Anyway, to my delight, this year they are also offering a lovely Hydrangea paniculata (Pink Diamond) and a wiegela (Wine and Roses). For a 12 to 15 inch plant they only want $4.00!!!!! Awesome!!!! They also are offering a Galliardia (Goblin), a Heuchera (Palace Purple) and the standard coneflower, shasta daisy, and black-eyed susan for only $2.50. I might order a few Pin Oaks to put up in our woodlot to replace a few White Pines that have died. But seriously, $4.00 for a decent sized Hydrangea? Super cool.

And lastly, we are scheduled for a winter storm warning this weekend. Usually I hate winter, but it is disturbing to see things ready to burst open into bloom at the beginning of February, so I'm actually looking forward to a snow cover again. As much of a pain in the ass as it is, and as much as I hate being cold, it will be nice to be back to normal. Not like I'll be able to go anywhere this weekend. I'll be cleaning up plaster dust out of every nook and cranny for most it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Freecycle great? We got rid of one of the hamsters that way. I wish our chapter was more active, though.

Your tree sale list sounds great... how fun to get some good plants at good prices.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the snow. Wanna bet you end up getting way more than us, and I get shafted AGAIN?

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Freecycle! Closest thing we have to that is that we must bring our garbage to the "dump" ourselves--there is a separate shed where the community recycles things--it is a great place--toys for children, books--I have left many usable items there & we have found items we bring home. I wish I could share my white pines w/you--I would have given you 4 of them that were too close to the house & had to go for safety sake....great posts happening here, Meredith! Love to read all the stuff.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home