Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Checking in

So lately I've been feeling like my horizon has disappeared. And I'm somewhere in the horse latitudes. I feel adrift with no sense of if I'm moving forward or backward or standing completely still. Not necessarily panicked or anything, but a definite sense of "I'm not where I want to be at this point in my life". So I haven't been blogging. Just lots of taking stock and thinking.

But here is an "I'm okay" post and thanks for all the emails and comments of concern. I just got back from 2 weeks at the beach, which was totally awesome. And I pretty much know where I want to be now. I just have to work up the courage to make the trip from here to there.

For some reason I'm into lists lately. Well, that is a lie. I've always been into lists, they help keep me sane and organized. I mean lists for no reason.

Things that have been making me smile lately:

  • tomatoes - because who can really be glum when eating a bowl of tomatoes with fresh basil and thick balsamic and good olive oil and salty olives?
  • banana pudding - I had for the first time a sour cream banana pudding made by Connor's Market in Buxton, NC and it was one of those moments when you eat something and everything gets all shiny and tingly and I think I actually laughed out loud because it was that good. Hard to believe, but it was. Banana Pudding! With Nilla Wafers! They only had it one day out of the week and the nice lady behind the deli counter shared her recipe, so I'll try my hand at it soon.
  • The Republican Party imploding.
  • A sign on a conservation district building on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.....it said "Keepin' it rural since 1963." haha. keepin' it rural.
  • Little girls in kayaks that swore they would never, ever get in a kayak. Let alone check a crab trap or reach down into an underwater grass bed to pick up a scallop.

So I'll keep in touch. And thanks Pete, I had forgotten all about Mr. Hartman. I am power!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're okay. :) Taking stock is something I should be doing myself... but am avoiding like the plague. I admit it.

I think I need to make a Tshirt for my hometown. It needs to have a picture of a plow, an empty can of some horrendously cheap beer, and the caption: "Keepin' it Rural"... I totally would wear that. lol.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

I love your remark about "taking stock." It's one of my favorite phrases and for some reason it makes my husband laugh. For a long time he thought it was something I picked up while watching an old Western on tv. Now that you've used it, I can point it out and say look it's not so old fashioned after all.
I'm glad to see that you have things straightened out in your mind. That's always a good feeling.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I'm another Pennsylvanian who took the North Carolina route a couple of weeks ago, only I was on the other side of the state. The week before Labor Day was truly horrible between my husband and me. I was truly ready to pack it all in and leave him. I came home that Friday night, bought a tent at Walmart, and the two of us took off in the middle of the night for Brevard. It was perhaps the best vacation I've ever had. Sometimes you just need to get away and take stock. :o)

1:29 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Glad you are doin OK...and glad you know where you want to be.

Plant some Borage next spring, it is the courage herb.

And my tomato crop was a disaster this year, makes me want them all the more...
(on the other hand, the basil is outdoing itself!)

12:36 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I did plant borage last year. It died pretty quickly. I wonder what that means? Is taking stock an old term? I've always used that term. Strange. Faith, wish I could just buy a tent and go away for a little while and have that fix things :) Glad you had a good time. And I would totally buy a keepin' it rural t-shirt!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

I wouldn't say our vacation fixed things, but it certainly was a step in the right direction.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home