Friday, February 16, 2007

Well that sucked

"I'm kind of excited" I said....about the snow. Stupid, stupid me. Well, I guess snow would have been okay. The four inches of sleet on top of the snow wasn't. Nor was the freezing rain and then more snow on top of that. And then sub zero wind chills with 40 mph winds. Ha. The driveway was one giant sheet of foot thick ice and my car was in the garage. I couldn't shovel it. Plows wouldn't work. So at 7pm last night a farmer with a skidloader on a flatbed truck opened up our driveway for us. I was trapped in my house for two days. Husband was hardly home because of work and had to park on the front lawn in the one protected area we could chip away at. Getting stuck coming in and going out, resulting in an hour of shoveling, chipping, throwing down craked corn and cat litter on both ends. Fun. I took lots of pictures of birds.





One lone bird (see the tracks coming up to the door?) checking to see if the coast is clear.








It was. At some points in the day there were upwards of 30 Mourning Doves on the front porch trying to get out of the wind.














Birds eating the cracked corn out of my husband's tire tracks after we got him out.









Weird sheet icicle hanging at an angle on the front porch. I guess that is what happens when ice melts in a 40 mph wind.
I guess it could have been worse. I could have been trapped in my car on Interstate 78 for two days....like some people.
On the bright side, I'll have lettuce in a few weeks.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That did suck!!
Do you still have ice? I saw the roads on the television, it was awful. Yes, it was good to be home, if you had to be stuck somewhere.
That box of green stuff looks so good!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me up there. I don't know what I did!!

6:08 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Oh your lettuce looks so yummy! If I had that on my window sill, I might just have to eat it now.

Your birds eating in the empty tire tracks remind me to serve up the egg shells. I take the leftover egg shells from the chickens, rinse in hot water and zap them in the micro for about a minute. Then you crush them with a mortar and pestle, and serve it with the bird seed. The woodland birds need their grit too, and it will help them get their calcium so they can lay strong eggs this spring, which is just around the corner, right??

8:07 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

What an ugly storm. Just ugly. I'm still chipping away at the ice... at least today is above freezing.

Hooray for your neighbor with the skidloader.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing--all those Mourning Doves on your front porch! A sight I would have loved to have seen. I am making an attempt to come out of blog hibernation, at least to visit those I miss but all the ice and snow & cold you are reporting makes me want to retreat. Brrrr! Our driveway and surrounding the house & yard has been an ice rink. Very treacherous getting around. My boots/shoes must don "ice bras" in order to navigate safely. And the 2 dogs have requested 4 pairs of ice skates for their paws. Tomorrow it is supposed to warm up to the 40's--that's tropical as of late. Your lettuce gives us hope!

10:48 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Hello Judith! I'm so glad that you are emerging from your hibernation. Although the weather as of late really does make you want to head back under the covers. Good to see you! And tread carefully with your ice bras! Ha.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home