Thursday, October 27, 2005

Still unoriginal

takoma gardener and dirt by amy stewart have come up with lists of plants they hate and amy stewart followed with a list of plants she loves....so I'll give a little of both.

Plants I.....hate?, no, too strong...intensely dislike.....

Marigolds....ewwww....I don't know why, I just do

Dusty Miller....I think it's the name....sounds like a white trash lady that beats her kids

Petunias....don't know why

most impatiens...they are always so stunted, but I did like a larger variety that I bought two years ago that were brilliant orange and just 'popped' in little out of the way places, framing ferns and hosta well.

most asters...they get too big, too fast, and flop over, and you can't get rid of them...they just keep coming up, even after you've ripped them out.

Rose of Sharon....don't know why. It just looks tropical and totally out of place in South central PA

Okay, plants I love...easy
hydrangeas
peonies
hollyhocks
love-lies-bleeding (amaranth)
penstemon
bee-balm (Monarda)
hellebores
the new orange coneflowers (Sunset)
nasturtiums
skunk cabbage (although this isn't something you put in your yard)
beauty berry
daisies
autumn crocus
climbing hydrangea
sweet woodruff
iris
blood red geraniums
nicotiana
dahlias (Bishop Landraf)
sunflowers
and that lime green sweet potato vine...I know, common, overused....but it is such a pretty background for so many things

4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Peonies are becoming one of my favorites. We also have that lime green sweet potato vine as does everyone else it seems. the are pretty against the right thing.

3:58 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, I love Peonies. They were one of the hated plants on the other lists. How could you hate a peony. I wish I had red ones. White Flower Farm has a pretty grouping that includes the green sweet potato vine, with orange daisy like flowers and purple flowers...they call it "calico".

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loves & hates, love it...I've decided I hate Gaura. Sorry, Gaura. I tried it again these past two summers and I hate it, it flops, does a skinny flop all over the place and looks as if it doesn't know what to say in the garden. It takes up room too, gotta spread itself all over town. This year I loved all Lobelia, next time around, who knows? Maybe I'll love Gaura?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

I have to look up the ones I don't know on your like list as I can strongly identify with the ones we dislike.
Li

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home