Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Et tu Tar-jay?

It's going to be a tough Christmas shopping season. I've had to give up Target. I dearly loved Target. It seemed to treat their employees well (unlike Walmart, where I haven't stepped foot in 6 years). It offered reasonably priced funky looking housewares...and you could pick up dog food or laundry detergent and a cute sweater at the same time. And yes I know, I should shop at local stores, which I swear I do whenever possible. But sometimes it isn't possible, and sometimes you just have so many different things to buy (like at the holidays) that it's just easier....wrapping paper, Hello Kitty comforter (neice), birthday card...done. But now I have to cross Target off my list. They've backed their Pharmacists decision to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives because of their personal religious beliefs. They could have remained silent. But no, they've had to take an official position. And somehow they've managed to suggest that it falls under the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Huh? Walmart was easy to boycott. Personified, Walmart is a sloppy, biggoted, redneck that eats with his mouth open and farts a lot. Target personified, to me, was a cool college friend, possibly living in an urban area, that always dressed stylishly (albeit cheaply), had interesting things to talk about, and bought you the perfect, wonderfully thought out gift. I will miss you Target. But, really you gave me no choice. What's next if you allow refusals of emergency contraception? (copied from Americablog)

- Check out clerks who verify how fat you are before selling you that package of potato chips?
- Pharmacists who don't want to fill prescriptions for Jewish customers who killed Christ.
- Pharmacists who don't want to help customers who worship a "Satanic counterfeit" (read: "The Pope," in fundie-speak).
- Pharmacists who only dispense HIV medicine to "innocent victims" of AIDS.
- Pharmacists who want proof that women seeking emergency contraception were really raped, and that they didn't "deserve it."
- Pharmacists (or cashiers) who are Christian Scientists - can they refuse to sell any medicine, even aspirin, to anyone?
- Pharmacists who won't sell birth control pills to unmarried women, condoms to unmarried men, or any birth control at all because God doesn't want people spilling their seed.
- Can fundamentalist Christian employees refuse to interact with gay people in any way, shape or form since gays are sinners, abominations, biological errors, and very likely pedophiles?

With the Christmas season upon us, your absence will be deeply felt. But I just can't shop there anymore.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Isn't it just ridiculous? I had planned to make a stop at Target this week for some basic underwear that I can't seem to get in my one-horse town, but not now.

From thisisnotover.com:
"...if you have moral issues with the job you are licensed to do, issues which make it impossible for you to do that job, then you need to find another job."

7:28 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Exactly. If I want a preacher, I'll go to church.

10:05 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

i agree. i wont be shopping there anymore either.

4:05 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Do you have Target in Brooklyn? For some reason I can't picture that. I thought it was strictly a suburban sprawl thing.

4:30 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

we do actually. so far the ciy has managed to keep wal mart out. they wanted to open in queens but the community got together and blocked it.

you'd be surprised at all the big box stores in new york. home-depot, k-mart, target, not too mention starbucks, gap and banana republic EVERYWHERE. It's kinda sad. Consumer choice is dwindling.

4:37 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

gap and banana republic were starting to infiltrate when I was there. They must be on every block by now. But Home Depot? Ughhh...I just can't picture it.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home