Friday, November 11, 2005

Picky eaters

My husband works a job where he is frequently away. And I thank God for that, because if I had to prepare him a meal every night of the week, I would kill him. Why you ask? Because he is a picky eater and I cannot stand it anymore. He eats no vegetables other than canned FRENCH style green beans. He actually gagged and vomited a little when I coerced him into trying a GRILLED RED PEPPER!!!!! He eats no fruit. He will eat some fruit pies, but only if the inside is the horrible gelatinous mess that comes from a can and no longer resembles the fruit that is on the outside of the can. I once made him a cherry pie with real cherries because he wanted one and I refused to buy the freakishly bright red cherry pie filing in the can. I even made a homemade crust. He took one bite and pushed it away. Too chunky he said. All he eats is meat and processed noodle mixes and pizza. And not even good pizza. The crappy Celeste kind that you can make in the microwave. He actually prefers that. So all the gardening I do, and all the things I grow, he eats none of it. NONE. And it really is starting to bother me. When we first got married, I made two meals. Mine (healthy, lots of veggies, lots of flavor) and his....meat and noodles from a box. Then that got to be too much. So I started making good versions of his kind of food. No go. I made a meatloaf, a really good one, with onions and carrots and celery and a thick gooey layer of tomato jam coating the outside with homemade macaroni and cheese....gruyere, sahrp cheddar, romano. No go. His mother made dry meatloaf, with nothing in it....apparently a hard brick of ground beef....and thats the way he liked it. Mine was too MOIST!!! And the macaroni and cheese....well he likes the kind in the box with the velveeta in the pouch. What about Lasagna? That would be good. Nope. Apparently his mother only used Ragu sauce with nothing in it, and put it between noodles. Thats right, no cheese, no vegetables, nothing. And thats the way he likes it. I'm at the point now where I just can't take it anymore and am thinking of just not cooking anything for him anymore and just cooking for myself. When it's just me I make wonderful risottos and hearty soups and wonderful stir frys in peanut sauce or veggie Biryani or any manner of other Indian foods. All kinds of fruit salads and fruit desserts. HE WON"T EVEN EAT HOMEMADE APPLE PIE FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!! Seriously, I am at the end of my rope. I am angry that he won't even try for the sake of his health. Most toddlers eat better than he does. So what do I do? Is being a picky eater grounds for divorce? Is there a way to ease him into it? The thought of ripping the tops off boxes of noodle mix for the rest of my life is just horrible and I can't stand it. What do I do? Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

maybe you can slowly introduce him to veggies. or maybe you can guilt-trip him into eating them by telling him how much love and work goes into the food you make. or just read him the ingredients on the label!

9:06 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I'm at the point now where I just dont think he'll change. I tell him frequently about how he needs to find just a few he likes for the vitamins and fiber, etc. He just won't do it. It's so frustrating. How can you just rule out entire food groups for no good reason? He can't hate all veggies and fruit. It just isn't possible.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm so sorry. Just so sorry. I didn't realize there were adults out there who were still like that.

He can't hate veggies if they have cheese on them, can he? (broccoli with cheese being one of my favorites).

I just don't know what to say. Except I might kill him if I lived with him.

7:47 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I could suspend one broccoli stalk in a bowl of melted cheese and he still would not eat it. Woe is me.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home